Dual - AMD Threadripper Pro - Unattainable? Pipe Dream?

Is it a pipe dream to have a dual AMD Threadripper Pro motherboard? I am shocked no one has one thus far. Why not? Almost every other top tear processor has a dual processor format (Intel Xeon/AMD Epyc).

Is there something about the AMD Threadripper Pro that will not allow you to slap two on a motherboard?

Those are server grade components that are designed to be used in multi socket configurations
Intel X series cpus can also not not be used in dual socket

To answer your question yes, they are only single socket cpus

1 Like

the ‘limitation’ is there to protect the other tiers of CPUs. there is no technological reason for this limitation.

1 Like

Segmentation… the same reason I don’t currently have a 5970X in my $900 mobo that only saw one CPU cycle… :roll_eyes:

Though I at least understand the reason we don’t have dual socket TR. That really would eat into their own product lines intended for other purposes.

Thank you

I can understand and respect that for sure. The road of dual Intel Xeon is nice looking - from the outside looking in. But just for conversation. Intels price point for me does not hold real value. One of the main reasons, I have always used AMD. I wanted value in my purchase.

thank you so much!

i know it is like saying ‘your car is too fast,’ but at what workload could someone justify having dual 5995wx CPUs in a desktop? and if so, cool, build a dual EPYC workstation.

2 Likes

Even if I did have a workload like that it would make me nervous running it on desktop grade hardware. I’ve seen too many consumer motherboards die after even relatively light 24/7 usage to be comfortable with that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.