Dropping in a Radeon W 7100 FirePro on an Asrock Taichi x370 and configure it through SR-IOV for windows kvm. (How to do it.)

Just picked up a Radeon FirePro 7100 and want to configure it to run both my Linux and windows (kvm) . Here are the basic stats:
Taichi x370 w/ Ryzen 1700 (no overclock)
64G Ram Corsair @ 2133 (?)
1 - 250G ssd for Linux
1 - 1T ssd for Windows (ala Wendel’s “duel” booting suggestion.)
Any suggestions aside “enable the SR-IOV in BIOS” and run it? lol

Here are the questions.
1 - Do I still need to pass through the pci identifiers for the card for the windows kvm?
2 - How will it “grab the monitors”? The card come with 4 Display port adapters. Do I need to use the bottom 2 ports for the windows kvm? Or will it just grab the video ports that Linux uses?
Procedures for doing this?
Let me know and I will keep this updated with things I learn in SR-IOV/MuGPU land.

So far, (731/2017) on the project. Managed to install the correct video drivers on Opensuse 42.2. Note to all fans of the current fglrx drivers, they appear to be at End Of Life. AMD no longer supports that project. The new set of drivers are a pain to install, even on Opensuse. On booting into the Linux, the error that I receive on the inital screen is that the Rom is incorrect and then gives me the error code. (The correct drivers are installed and the standard “Radeon” driver is blacklisted.) Still having issues with libvirt grabbing the correct ovmf bios for the virtual machines.

Next update will be with Fedora 26. Should be interesting. (Using 3 separate drives for testing.)
New update. Still using the Opensuse model. Due to the bios not being correctly “installed”, I am at a loss… It attempts to boot but gives me a blank screen. No “booting” as of yet. Will consider what is going on in my xml file.

Re: Error code on booting up in linux appears to be able to be ignored. Something about a change in the way that the linux kernel interrogates and reports the bios in the card. Does not affect operations. Will attempt some more work on this later on. Any suggestions?
Note: To correct for the need of 2 keyboards and mice, I will just ssh into the linux box from the VM so I do have some control over the system.
Special note. This is basically a run through for my Threadripper build. THAT is going to be interesting.

4 Likes

Edit: I’m wrong, this project looks totally badass, and this SR-IOV/MxGPU stuff looks like a total game changer.

Original, incorrect post:
[I’m pretty sure the pass through requires black listing the card so you can’t use it for the Linux session, just the virtual machine. An additional GPU would be required for the host. Otherwise you’re not really using passthrough.]

2 Likes

Please read the specs on the card. It is a MuGPU (Multiuser GPU. Designed for virtualization.) So, new territory here.

2 Likes

I’ve got zero experience with SR-IOV.

This might be a good jumping-off point:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization/sect-Para-virtualized_Windows_Drivers_Guide-How_SR_IOV_Libvirt_Works.html

Hope this helps!

calling in the mighty overlord @wendell

PS: tagged and moved to Linux category

1 Like

Monitoring intensifies!

2 Likes