Drivers, drivers, drivers

So what do you guys think I should do with this.

Do you keep them, use them or throw them? I literally have a box (well a small box) full of these. Is there any use or importance of keeping them?

Nerd wall decor after 20 years

2 Likes

I second this....

More seriously... I'd keep only essential ones, let's just say your computer just dies/goes off on one, some day, turns out it's the drivers, boom.

Then once it's working just update via the internet.

I'd just without a doubt throw one's for non essential devices.... I.e. a printer, you can still use your PC without a printer, and even if you need to use your printer, to the internet for the latest drivers.

2 Likes

It depends on what kind of a user you are.

If you use any OS other than Windows, toss 'em. Assuming that they even support alternative OS's, almost no one includes non-Windows drivers and utilities on their CDs.

If you are a pack rat (like me) and get some sort of perverse pleasure out of using 10+ year old hardware (guilty!), keep them. After 6-8 years, manufacturers tend to drop old drivers and utilities from their web site.

1 Like

Alright. I guess I'll keep some and I'll throw some.

Thanks for the input. (I'll probably end up throwing most of it.)

LOL.....as someone who saved those for years only to need a certain disk and couldn't fine the one I needed out of the stack (or couldn't tell which was the correct one) just wall art or toss them, keep the stuff you currently have in service but just get rid of the rest, it's way too easy with a thumb drive and the internet to get the correct drivers you need when you need them....and they will be up to date.

1 Like