DP1.4 KVM w/ Caldigit TS4 dock update?

In a now-closed thread, it looks like my use case would be disappointingly unsupported. But that was a year ago and it looks like there have been firmware and software updates on a couple ends that may have addressed it. Curious if anybody is using this setup or has any input:

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED @ 5120x1440 240Hz (PC); 120Hz (Mac)
PC: RTX 4090 on Asus motherboard
Mac: M1 Max 16", connected via Thunderbolt 4 to Caldigit TS4

Looking to replace a USB hub that is experiencing issues consistent with what Wendell describes when hooked up to the mac, and is downstream of a USB switch to allow me to switch KB+M between the two machines.

The 1-monitor DP1.4 USB3 hub fits my use case perfectly. However it sounded like it didn’t work with the CalDigit TS4 at all as of March of last year (hub depth exceeded)

Understand it’s a niche use, but hoping somebody might be able to provide their experience!

I just received my 1.4DP KVM for single monitor, dual machine. I’ve tried connecting it to one of my MBPs connected to a Caldigit TS4.

I can get my peripherals to work (I think), but my monitor shows up on the MBP under displays, but does not post an image. I’m having trouble getting the display to post whilst connected through TS4 and the L1T KVM.

I’d love to figure out a solution for this. I’ve tried cycling through cables, powering various docks/machines, but nothing yet.

FWIW I do not have any hub depth exceeded errors.

I have a CalDigit TS4 and an L1T “1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Single Monitor - Four Computer” (5Gbps) and everything works great? With both my old M1 Pro and new M3 Max MacBooks Pro. The only “catch” is I have to use a rear Thunderbolt port (or a front USB-C port) for the USB connection between the TS4 and L1T KVM.

I’m using a L1T DP1.4 cable and the TS4 is on the first KVM input. Maybe your monitor isn’t compatible with the KVM and/or the TS4? I have an MSI MAG274QRF-QD.

ETA: I just updated to the latest TS4 firmwares available from CalDigit and everything is still working fine, but I should note that I’m still on macOS 14.3.1.

ETA2: And I just updated to macOS 14.4.1 and everything is still working fine. FYI.

Yeah caldigit and kvm work fine. Use a thubderbolt port from the dock into the kvm to avoid the usb hub depth exceeded. Hub depth doesnt start counting till thundetbolt becomes usb, and some people dont believe there is a difference incorrectly. Caldigit pls kvm works fine, lots of happy customers with it, caldigit actually one of the few docks that are well made.

Most of the time the odyssey is fine but it needs newest firmware as it has loads and loads and loads of bugs even without the kvm.

3+3 foot club3d cables is proably worth trying if theres signal issues wirh the g9 on the dp side.

Oh and in generall i do recommendnuaing a second usbc connection from macs just for display. This makes good sense given thunderbolt is a glacial slow interface by modern standards. Double the bandwidth ceiling with this one weird trick (use two usbc cables).

Appreciate the updates and don’t mean to hijack tubesockfan’s debugging.

Most of the time the odyssey is fine but it needs newest firmware

For my setup, I swapped my monitor (previously using AW3423DW) and was able to get a display to post. Looked on Dell product page and found firmware updates for the AW3423DW and after updating, both monitors successfully work now. Woo! So +1, if there’s a firmware update for the monitor it may yield positive results.

I have one remaining issue, however, and that is I can not get the USB peripherals to pass through to the MBP successfully. I’m trying with just one mouse or keyboard, first to KVM → MBP (bypassing TS4 which is handling KVM → TS4 → MBP for the DP video), and second through KVM → TS4 → MBP. When I swap to my Windows machine, peripherals are detected straight away regardless of configuration. I’m going to try a few more configurations then post more details if this doesn’t end up working…

EDIT: Okay, looks like my Input Club K-Type keyboard is to blame. Once I’ve removed that for a regular, non-LED keyboard, everything works correctly for both machines. I wonder if its drawing power for the LEDs-- is there a power limit for the USB outputs? The keyboard oddly works when toggled to the Windows machine, so it doesn’t make sense to me why it would be disconnecting for the MBP specifically versus both machines. Anyways, I needed to replace this guy for a Topre keyboard soon. Thanks for the awesome device, hoping this setup stays stable for the foreseeable future! May try inserting a USB hub in here, will see how that goes.

EDIT 2: So I was reading the KVM manual a bit more and saw a mention for USB 3.2 Gen 2 Follow. It says this is enabled by default. I tried toggling this once and now my Input Club K-Type keyboard works using the 3.2 port on the back.