DOOM is now playable on Linux through wine with full Vulkan rendering. Amazing results!

Well then yours is even worse than mine. Only took me like half a day. Still it wont really run. I started it. It ran really slowly, so I switched to vulkan. Then the colors were fucked up and it wouldnt start. Probably something withy vulkan drivers

Well, now that the stupid DRM is gone, maybe we will see a native linux version after all.

ye it uses multilib, althrough compiling it makes you #cry (amd a8-5600k [3.9GHz] +8GB RAM, but guess what, it uses 1 thread only xD such scrub scripts in yaourt, so build took me 3-4hours ....) anyways, am getting pretty good performance from it (comparing to "normal" wine from ubuntu) like wow*3.3.5a runs only 5 fps lower than in windows (its around 2-3%) leagueoflegends runs at 20% lower fps [has some memory leak problems so dont change resolution and details while in real match, can lead to freeze issues, wow legion runs hmm 20% slower thhan windows and so on, but still playable framerates.

AMD drivers are still under construction, they do allot more work fixing their drivers then NVIDIA, then again they need it. We wont have a really solid driver until the DAL/DC package hits the kernel sometime next year which will offer all the features AMDGPU-PRO has.

what features does amdgpu-pro has actaully, that you can't get with amdgpu+gallium+mesa?

Freesync, Crossfire (its meant to, but like all dualGPU under Linux its not worth it), Vulkan included which works.

Looks pretty impressive i have to say.

Sweet! Still $20 on Steam too I believe. Just in time for my computer to be running again!

vulkan works fine with amdgpu drivers dunno about freesync, and multigpu is just waste of money, unless you use firepro/quadro for vm-s with passthrough, eithier way if you have that much money to afford freesync monitor, you can passthrough that gpu without any problem/or get similar solution, i guess they will make freesync work with amdgpu really soon, amdgpu is getting better each day since polaris came out. I hope that they continue develooping better drivers and ading features.

Your talking about the RADV implementation, last I heard (not long ago) that crashes allot!

Does anyone if vulkan and Wayland hate each other? Because I've got these weird visual bugs, which prevent me from actually starting the game. I want to know whether it's because of vulkan (maybe my driver, as I am on RADV), wayland (the gaming experience on wayland has been utter shit for me), or a combination of the two. My problem is that since the game won't launch properly, I cannot switch back to OpenGL (which is why I deleted some stuff and now having steam verify the game cache, as I have not been able to find out where the graphics settings are located) and gnome on xorg won't start...

On my Arch desktop with a 980Ti I installed wine-staging from the multilib repository and used a 64-bit/Windows 7 prefix. The game installs and runs fine with both OpenGL and Vulkan, but the sound doesn't work. I also installed wine-staging from the ppa I found on the wine project website on my Ubuntu MATE 16.04 laptop with a GTX 1070 and used the same 64-bit/Windows 7 prefix. In this case the game crashed with Vulkan (I don't think I have Vulkan installed correctly on this machine since The Talos Principle with Vulkan also crashes), but it works with OpenGL and the sound works. Has anyone else on Arch run into the sound issue?

Do PCGamingWiki have any configuration information for Linux, they are usually pretty good about that information.

I wonder if this guide is on thenwiki under its own thing now too. Games under VM with Vulkan. Seems promising.

Thought I might update this and mention that it appears that VulkanAPI patches will appear for Skyrim Fallout and Dishonoured series also sometime (this year I hope). This means we will finally be able to have 1:1 performance for those epic titles under Linux, thats a pants shatteringly exciting prospect indeed!

3 Likes

I saw that Bethesda is working on Vulcan. If they back port Skyrim I will lose my shit. Love that game.

Doom is only playable throug Wine correct? Some one should make a GUI Script to auto install everything for a specific game. Because we wont get any new users if it's a 30 minutes setup through the terminal.

But yea the first time i saw Doom running on linux and hitting the 200 FPS Wall i really smiled inside : D that was something special.

Where's the source for this? That news sounds almost too good to be true... amazing.

Dishonoured 2 is built on the Void engine, which is based on ID Tech 5. It could desperately use some Vulkan implementation, the game suffers from some performance issues. If ID Software helped them with it, that would be amazing.

But, Dishonoured 1 ran on the Unreal 3 Engine, would Vulkan be an easy thing to implement for this one?

Fallout and Skyrim sound like amazing additions as well.

I would also really like to see a Vulkan implementation of The Evil Within. The Evil Within is a Japanese made game, but it does use a version of ID Tech 5.

Skyrim SE is receiving the script extender maybe this month so there is no need to use oldrim when that happens. I have found SkyrimSE to work better also for mods like Open Cities, the FPS doesn't tank with that mod now which is quite impressive...

There is but I forgot the name of it now since I haven't used Wine for almost a year now, if fallout4 gets vulkan I will certainly return to using it, just atm I run at 4k and need every inkling of performance I can get, plus DX11 is not really compatible under Wine (some games sort of work).

Recent AMD Conference, check it out on youtube, I don't have link, check AMD YT channel.

Basically for those who are not in the know, AMD helped bring VulkanAPI to DOOM which is a Bethesda title, and since that went amazingly well they have decided to continue helping bring the API to their other games. Bethesda is aware of the performance problems its had with Skyrim/Fallout et al... If DOOM VulkanAPI didn't perform as good as it does, we wouldn't be having this conversation!

I didn't see their conference, but this is awesome news. Considering that Bethesda is going to be leaning on OpenGL a lot with their Void engine and variants of ID Tech, it might be in their better interests to push vulkan in their games.

1 Like

It's so nice to see that Id software still has that old DNA in them. Back in the days they pushed PC graphics to the next level and i have the fielling it's happening again. At least they spawned a new interest into Vulcan/async shader things.