DOOM High Resolution Sculpts

These are the high res sculpts of some of the DOOM creatures, done in Zbrush.
They're very good, and show of such talent behind the doors. @imaximus this may tickle your fancy.

There is a good few posts worth:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?202866-DOOM-asset-dump

7 Likes

ho dayum! Yea those are vera nice!

1 Like

3 Likes

Hot Damn! Those are incredible sculpts. Makes me wonder how many years it took these 3D artists to reach that skill.

2 Likes

A few, but thankfully to software like Zbrush and Mudbox, and not to forget 3DCoat we're able to push such detail into objects now, before using the 'classic' way inside DCC applications it just wasn't possible to hit such an extreme level of detail, easily. And it still didn't look as good as it dose today.

Damn these look impressive. The character artists must of loved making them!

1 Like

What is a 'DCC' application? Is that what results in the blocky character models from the 6th generation of games?

Digital Content Creation application, so Max, Maya, Softimage, Modo, ect. Using 'classic' modelling techniques. Kind of like:

But thanks to programs like Zbrush, ect we are able to push lot's of detail into models then before, it's digital clay, so the speed is way quicker too:

It all gets 'baked' down to normal and displacement maps, however the originally detail we can now pump in is way higher.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification!

1 Like

So how does sculpting software like Zbrush make modeling faster than say modeling a character from 3DS Max, Maya, or Blender?

1 Like

The most simple reason is because in a modelling program, such as Max, Maya, ect. You have to push a whole bunch of verities, or extrude to make shapes. In a sculpting program such as Mudbox or Zbrush it's one brush stroke, or one pull of the grab brush.

Now that's not touching on features theses programs allow, such as dynamic topology so you can just keep pulling/adding/removing shapes constantly and the topology of the model will update. So in return it also makes them fantastic concept programs for models. There has been an interesting trend in the industry: Where the concept of a character will be done inside Zbrush, quick low res version made, thrown in engine for feedback, where on paper it's extremely hard to get such results back.

Give this a watch, even though this is more of a concept sculpt, or just purely for fun, or just to render.
Because for games there is way more things you need to take into account, this would of been done in 2-3 hours if that,
to do that inside say Max, Softimage, ect? Weeks. And that won't even get the extreme level of detail.

If you skip more towards the end of this one, when the lead character artists starts speaking, you'll see some of their character workflows.

Also I think this is the right set of videos: https://youtu.be/IdBSNusyoEM?t=7m29s

They're in three parts, but if I recall they explain how software such as Zbrush managed to cut down their character creation time pretty much by half compared to the 'classic' way they was doing it by using modelling tools such as Max, Maya. Theses tools are still used, they're just not as used as much for the whole modelling process now.

If it interests you, it's a good watch.

Watched the BF4 dinosaur fan art and was pretty dope how much detail there is and the fact that it looks like a real dinosaur although no one has ever seen a real living dinosaur before.

I will give the other videos a watch. I say this as I have a real interest in doing 3D art and animation as a hobby I would like to be competent at. I was aware of the existence of Zbrush but didn't know the huge capabilites that it could do nor that it is a different process than traditional modeling. I want to make 3D characters with good details coming to life. Zbrush is out of my options though as I do not want to spend $800 USD for it yet I also do not want to pirate it either.

Take a look at Zbrush core, it has all the sculpting tools in a cut down version, they only have announced it a few days ago. They also have some $$ off if you pre-order it.

If you want to make 3D characters, the best advice is yes learn to sculpt them, however the biggest thing to learn is actually human and animal anatomy, that is what will help you the most. When you do take the jump, make posts I'll try and help you the best I can.

https://pixologic.com/zbrushcore/ <----about zbrush core

http://store.pixologic.com/Preorder-ZBrushCore-MAC-WIN-Single-User-License.html <-- store

EDIT: Even though they're not as powerful as Zbush you also got:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/mudbox/overview <--- Pay monthly for when you need it, I think it's like £8
http://3dcoat.com/home/ <--- Seems to be held in high regard, and I think you can also get it via steam.

1 Like

$120 is definitely way less than $800. Problem I still have is whether I would get through the learning curve to make the financial investment worth it. Then there is also the fact that Pixologic doesn't explain if ZbrushCore can be used for commerical purposes or not.

I'm also probably going to learn how to draw as well. I know it is not require but hear that it helps to have a good foundation on traditional drawing.

I read that 3D Coat is more renowned for its texturing/painting than for its sculpting. I could try Mudbox as I have experience with Autodesk products before.

I think Zbrush Core can be used commercially, a lot of software programs keep doing spin off 'indie' versions. Cut down versions for home users, or small studios on budgets. Zbrush Core seems to be following suit.

You got MODO indie, Maya, LT, ect.

Mudbox is nice, I really like it the brushes feel good and it's a real 3D viewport, because fun fact! Zbrush isn't actually a real 3D program when it comes to it's viewport. The only issue with Mudbox is that it's a companion sculptor meaning it needs another program really, like Maya, or Max. It needs a good base mesh to function well. But at least with it's pay monthly you can just pick up and drop as you need.

Blender has in-built sculpting tools, it cant handle as much as Zbrush or Mudbox but it could get you started. Same with Modo, MODO indie is nice. Again pay and drop as you need.

I was thinking of using ZBrush as a way to make 3D models and then export them to Blender or 3DS Max to animate them.

You'll have to take animation topology into account. You can't use say the high resolution mesh with all it's detail, or a simple Zremesher, because you'll get the incorrect topology for animation. Usually you'll build your high resolution mesh in Zbrush, export it into your DCC, so Blender, Modo, ect and then build custom topology that is animation friendly over the high res. Make UVs, then you can bake out all the correct maps like: Normal, Displacement, ect. To capture all the detail. Then you can rig and animate away with a lovely looking character.

For instance:

Well you are right. There is a lot I do not know about 3D software so forgive my ignorance.

Say, how long have you been doing this stuff anyway?

Oh, you got nothing to be sorry about. I hope I can point you in the right direction, it's one thing I wish I had when I was starting because you end up making so many mistakes unwillingly, and it ends up in frustration. So if I can help someone avoid them and go on the right path, I'm there 100%.

In total it's roughly around 9 years now. I started making levels for L4D, and wanted more control, so it made me explore the world of 3D, I started learning how to build environments inside 3Dsmax with UDK building my own game worlds. After that I got Softimage and then I really fell in love with modelling, and took my skills to the next level. I went from playing around to seriously getting my head down and learning how to model, UV, light and render.

After that I wanted to create humans and monsters, so I moved into the world of sculpting what was first using Mudbox with Softimage, then Zbrush. Ever since then I've been creating humans and monsters and enjoy it the most. And of course texturing them from scratch, that's also really fun too.

Now I freelance, contract and teach in both VFX and Games.

1 Like