Does the Radeon VII still exist?

I still use my Radeon VII in my Threadripper Workstation.

Probably didn’t need it but wanted an ALL AMD workstation so I replaced the tired GTX 980 I was using in it.

1 Like

I was thinking of installing my 5700XT but I read the reset bug was not officially fixed til the 6000 series

1 Like

The highest I saw was $8K on Ebay. Not sure if anyone actually paid it

There is hacks around it that were partially developed by users here. There are topic about it and from my knowledge the newer fix is universal.

But still a hack.

1 Like

I don’t think they made many of them and their use case is pretty extreme niche. Basically only if you’re crypto mining or doing other compute heavy stuff on a desktop.

If you’re doing that seriously, you go instinct in a server. If you are gaming, you buy Navi+

The use case for these is quite small, and it somewhat cannibalises their instinct line. I wouldn’t bet on finding any new ones.

The reason they’re so expensive: they’re STILL one of the most effective mining cards. Vega 64 has held its value pretty well for the same reason. Just watch the value of them tank when ether goes proof of stake. :smiley:

2 Likes

I saw a blog somewhere stating Radeon fixed the reset bug in the 6000 series.

See:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/best-host-video-card-for-passthru-support/184223/3

Only the 6800 cards seem to work perfect all the time when it comes to passthrough.
Various non-reference 6700 cards seem to have issues with the reset bug again, see: 6700XT - reset bug?. I forget if I’ve seen any mention of reference 6700 cards having any issues, but they seem to be working the best so far. My reference 6700 works great.

It is highly likely that 6400/6500/6600 cards would also have similar potential issues and hangups as 6700 cards.

2 Likes

Atm looking to pick up the Radeon VII pro mainly for compute, as I have the W6800 now but the VII still destroys it in compute

And it had the AMD NVLink alternative on that card I’d like to play with with 2x of them at some point

1 Like

They were released a couple of months before the near identically performing and much cheaper 5700XT. If your workload benefits from GCN over RDNA1, and/or the 16GB of HBM2 over 8GB of GDDR6 then the Radeon VII is great, but for gamers the 5700XT made more sense.

2 Likes

How safe is it to buy one used (on eBay)?

I’ve wanted one for a long time, more for the sake of having one, don’t really nerd it, if that makes sense. As a collectors item.

Crypto-boom made it unobtanium. Since then I saw a couple of videos diagnosing dead cards (card not recognized, error 43) and now I’m concerned that these cards are on a short path to becoming paperweight.

1 Like

It seems once they die it’s pretty much impossible to get them back to life, seen a vast amount of dead ones on eBay and no one really able to save them what sucks, I think it’s HBM as since that’s on the die well good look trying to fix them

1 Like

I’ve been using one to mine for over a year now. It gets 86 MH which is obscene considering how old it is. I don’t think I’d try to game with it though

1 Like

Are they cheap? The dead ones, wouldnt mind one as art.

Thank you I will check it out

I know you’re asking about the failure rate of the cards themselves, but anecdotally…

I’m 100% done with the used GPU market after attempting to sell my R7 last year when I moved.

Buyer paid, received card, hit it with a hammer, claimed it was defective, and then sent it back with a “fuck you, scalper” written on a washcloth he used to wrap it before shipping it back.

People aren’t sane about GPUs. No trust left.

To AMD’s credit, the card still works despite all of that. The mounting bracket is FUBAR, but the card still works. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I checked the other night and saw one for $1K. The internet used market is super high ask as always

I was hoping so but seem to be around £250-300 and at that price I’d rather buy a Radeon Pro W6400 or used W5700

Idk about rest of the EU/US tho

2 Likes

I have had an extremely similar experience but with a CPU. I sold my old i7 3960X when I needed more CPU cores for software video encoding. The 6 core was still good for gaming at between 60 and 120 fps. I sold it, my Rampage IV Extreme and 16GB of 2133MHz DDR3 (four sticks, so quad channel worked). This was in 2019. Normal gamers were putting down like £30 on the bunch, which is fine it’s like a decade old, then this guy who worked in a boutique system builder bid £100 on it with the aim of putting it a system to sell as new.

He DMd me asking for a refund. I DM’d forward and back trying to work out what the issue was. It took a long time to even get what the issue was. I asked him what the error code was on the motherboard. He just said “it temperamental it like woman”. Which… ok, dealing with not just an idiot, but a misogynistic idiot nice, but what he meant by this was that there was no error code. “It temperamental” meant the code was constantly changing as it tested each component. As it is meant to. It was actually POSTing just fine. A CPU problem error code for this motherboard would be 00, and would be the first thing to fail. Obviously.

He then went into a bit more detail and complained that it was booting up into WIndows for a few minutes, then it was turning off and wouldn’t start up for about 20 minutes or so. I tried to explain that the fact that it was not only POSTing, but actually booting into an operating system meant that the CPU was clearly not DOA and that he was experiencing some other issue. This was evidence that the parts he’d actually bought from me were fine. What I suspect is that his cooler wasn’t fitted correctly and that it was shutting off when it overheated, and then wouldn’t boot for 20 minutes or so while the CPU was cooling down. I’ve experienced this behaviour before when an AIO cooler died.

Anyway, he forced the refund. I complained to Ebay and sent evidence that the CPU was booting when he had it, all I managed to achieve was the £5 shipping refunded. He sent the CPU, motherboard and RAM back all assembled together, without the anti-static bag I had packaged it in, just wrapped in bubblewrap, loose in a big cardboard box. When I took it out to test, it was actually dead. Error code 00. Whether by his spending a day trying to run it repeatedly without a cooler, by packaging it in bubblewrap without ASD protection, or by it being loose in a massive cardboard box, he had actually destroyed a very functional CPU, cheated me out of being able to sell it, and cheated a legitimate gamer out of a still very competent gaming CPU at a time when CPUs were inordinately expensive new.

Luckily the two GTX 1080s I sold at about the same time went fine, to actual gamers for about £400 each.

4 Likes

I was eyeing one for a starting bid price of 600 pounds from the UK. I was tempted, but decided against bidding. Nobody else bid, so the seller just re-listed it.

I’m afraid all the cards are post-crypto torture. And I’m not prepared to lose 600.

I would reccommend that as well. I can no longer get the pro driver for Linux for my card. The Mesa drivers will not really install either

realistically, unless you’re planning to mine with it or have some need for high performance FP64 (which they do at 1/2 rate!!!), there’s little legitimate use case for these any more.

Gaming? A 5700 will be basically same, anything 6700 series and up will smoke it.
3d Rendering? Nvidia will probably be faster for same/less money

I kinda wanted one myself for the nerd reasons mentioned above, but at the price they sell for its simply not sensible unless you fit one of the very small niches for it.

As above they have a seemingly high failure rate, but that may well be from the HBM being long term overclocked for mining due to the insane ether hash rate they can get (ether basically scales linearly with memory bandwidth, and radeon VII is right at the top of the tree there even today).

I very much doubt virtually anyone with one of these hasn’t been mining for ether with it until it either died or ether goes proof of stake.

2 Likes