Does HDMI or DP improve ghosting on screen?

I recently got into 144hz IPS and while my screen came with DP capable (for 165hz) it did came without the DP cable itself.

So I was wondering if getting a DP cable could improve the ghosting situation? also does high refresh rate = less or more ghosting? I would also have gsync if I get a DP cable no idea if that helps the issue or not.

(it’s a 1ms IPS panel for reference)

I’ve already improved it a lot messing with the gama, brightness and contrast and is not as noticeable as it was out of the box but still is on white txt on black bg and blacks in general have trail.

Side note: my monitor does not have an “overdrive” feature built in.

Thanks as always for reading :smiley:

You’ll want a Displayport cable to be able to handle that refresh rate at 4K. HDMI 2.1 will work as well, but a 2.0 cable is only good for 4K at 60hz.

See HDMI 2.1 Specification Overview.

Also, if you buy a Displayport cable, avoid the cheap ones. You want a certified Displayport cable or you will have problems. Non-certified cables use the 1.0 DP spec, while there are only DP 1.1 devices on the market. The key difference is pin 20 is connected with 1.0, while it is not in 1.1. This causes a ground fault that causes your monitor to feed power back into your system and causes all sorts of lovely issues, such as NVME drives not working, System won’t startup, etc.

1 Like

Absolutely. You can have the highest resolution, fastest-refresh ghosting you’ve ever seen. You won’t be able to tell it’s not real-life ghosts! /s

omg I had no idea about all that stuff… ok I wont cheap out on the cable. The cable itself should say that is 1.1?

The native resolution of this IPS panel is of 1080p I’m using DSR of nvidia for get the “4k 144hz” atm and I’m using a fat 4k HDMI cable I used to use on my TV (which was very expensive when I bought it long ago)

Btw about the main subject, do you have an idea if DP cable with gsync improves ghosting or is the same? if it’s the same I wont even bother… I don’t really care about the 165hz even tho I have a 3070 there’s no way I can get those fps (only on LoL & csgo lmao)

Thanks for the help and all the info!

The cable has nothing to do with Ghosting. I was just recommending the correct cable for 4K. Digital cables either work or they do not. Cheap cables may cause noise on the screen, but ghosting is caused by the pixel refresh rate of the LCD itself. This is the grey to grey or ms response time I’m talking about, not the refresh rate (hz) you are sending to the display.

so the refresh rate of the pixels are not the same as the speed of the refresh rate of the hz? so higher refresh rate (hz) doesn’t help on response time at all?
if I understood this correctly there is no way to improve the response time that came out of the box, therefor the ghosting can’t really be solved and refresh rate does nothing but make the image itself look more smooth to the eye?

Sorry if I’m asking something obvious I’m a slow learner if I’m annoying you don’t answer it’s totally fine! Thanks again!

edit: I watched a video and I should have 1ms of MPRT (at least that’s what the box says) so if that’s true I shouldn’t be having ghosting problems right? isn’t that what 1ms of moving picture response time suppose to do? lol

Anything modern generally has minimal ghosting. Try changing the cable first off. Using an old HDMI cable could be causing issues. Replace the cheap stuff first and then start working your way up to the OMG my wallet stuff.

Refresh rate in hz coming from the computer is how many times the card is drawing the screen.

The screen itself doesn’t have to be capable of drawing the screen that many times a second. I used to have a 19" Samsung monitor with 25ms grey to grey response. Everything ghosted on it, but it was one of the first IPS panels released and I didn’t game much back then.

My advice to you first off, is take a recording of the ghosting issue. Pop it on Youtube or something and post a link here so we can see the issue. This is one of those things that it is better to see than to try and guess what might be wrong with your setup.

Are you using an HDR monitor? If yes, the ghosting is caused by the local dimming of the backlight.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ve turned HDR off although I would think it’s just “fake” hdr this only has 350nits but I did turned it off and it helped. I will get a DP cable next week so I can use GSYNC and 165hz.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.