Docker Manager on Proxmox: TrueNAS or Portainer?

Greetings fellow humans,

so I have Proxmox on my self build (my old PC) server running and have a VM in there, that has TrueNAS Scale running for network storage etc.

I’ve also already played around with Portainer and set it up in a LXC on my Proxmox server, which seems to run fine.
Now I was wondering, since TrueNAS has a build-in function for managing Docker Containers, is it advisable to use instead of Portainer?
Or should I rather use Portainer for that, since it’s a Proxmox server?

Personally I’m leaning more towards keeping Portainer in a LXC container and use that, since it is cleaner to have separate instances for dedicated usage (TrueNAS for storage, Portainer for Container Management). But since I’m a total beginner at cosplaying as a SysAdmin, I wanted to ask for the opinion of you lovely people.

Also: I’ve found posts online that say, you should not use LXC for Portainer, others say it’s not a problem. Any opinion on this?

1 Like

I’m in a similar situation. But so far I’m using mostly LXC containers and VMs, but I like to have some better management as well as moving everything to docker.

I tried Scale, but having the entire kubernetes and clustering stack is just too much of complexity for my use. On top of some bugs that made me go back to Core.

Storage is fine on Core and VMs are fine on Proxmox. I just need a slick solution for my containers.

It is very popular to just strip out the TruNAS implementation of docker and just run portainer. The TruNAS manager sucks tbh.

2 Likes

Unfortunately with the latest release (Cobia), docker was removed completely, so that’s no longer possible. The alternative is to use Jip-Hop’s Jailmaker script where you can install docker, docker-compose, podman etc.