Do you have to plug modem into internet port on routers

just a bit of a networking noob here. The internet port of my router died. Can i plug in my modem to the normal ethernet ports and still have internet to the rest of my devices or is it mandatory i plug it into the internet port on the router. i’m just trying to re-establish internet to the rest of my wired devices. have a new wireless router on route but will take a few days

:wave: moved to the networking area of the forum.

Any to answer your question @Smerrills, the answer is no. Unless you can configure another port to be the WAN port you will cause a loopback address issue if you connect it as-is.

Hi,

Generally yes, you have to use that port.

That port is special in the software of the router.

There’s a slim chance you might be able to repurpose a LAN port for WAN using OpenWRT on the router, if your router happens to be compatible.

Can you tell us which router you have? And how fast is your connection? (speed of your internet plan).

it’s a netgear nighthawk model number r7000p

EDIT: my bill says spectrum internet ultra don’t know what speeds that’s supposed to be

Ok, on that particular model, dd-wrt is the way to go instead of openwrt.

There’s instructions on how to flash it on the wiki. https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R7000

After that, you can remap VLANs from the UI - to make one of the LAN ports a VLAN port.

You don’t necessarily need to understand all the networking stuff, UI should be fairly easy to use to do that.

Here’s how that UI looks like (from the ddwrt wiki):

Typically that is 100/10 Mbps for rural lines and around 450/20 Mbps elsewhere near cities.

Source: I also have Spectrum.

Oh yeah I’ve done that cuz I also had a Nighthawk.

Also if the OP bricks it he can fix with the 30/30/30 reset.

I’ve reset that router several times and i can’t even log into it from chrome

New dd-wrt has SFE (shortcut forwarding engine) bolted in. Even at 450 an aging R7000 should still work fine.

Oooo, can’t log into it after reset. Hmmmm, that sounds like a different kind of issue.

i’ve tried 192.168.1.1 and it keeps saying it cannot open page

i just did a speed test and i’m getting 450/28

The only thing that comes to mind is poking at buttons while it’s booting (there’s probably a manual somewhere on which buttons when and for how long), whilst staying connected to a lan port to see if maybe TFTP recovery will work.

That could be fairly involved, requires a bit of research. Perhaps someone on freenode on #dd-wrt channel can help guide you - the R7000 was a fairly popular router afterall.

^^^

1 Like

how do you do that?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=30+30+30+reset

tldtr you just press and hold the little reset button in a series of 30 seconds, reboot while still holding it, and while still holding the button for 30 seconds after rebooting again.

This fully wipes it back to the stock image.

Trying THIS First.

And I’ve Been Able To RE Login To The IP Page. so much thank you

1 Like

:partying_face: glad we could help

only issue i have now is remembering settings