Do You Have A 4000-series Nvidia Card Running On Linux?

I finally managed to get both Fedora 37 and Kubuntu 22.04.1 running with an RTX 3050. The machine I’m testing on was supposed to receive an RX 6800 but now I’m considering putting a 4070Ti in it (because I’ve had more difficulty getting AMD drivers working on Linux with a 6600 and 6800 card, i.e. I haven’t managed to get them running properly with blender etc.)

However, I’m willing to bet that neither the rpmfusion drivers for Fedora nor the Nvidia drivers for K/Ubuntu work properly with a 4000-series card.

Anyone know for sure either way?

Also, if anyone knows how to get an RX 6800 working properly on Linux I’d appreciate it if you could give me some pointers. I’ve done the amdgpu-install thing on K/Ubuntu from the AMD site but although I have a working graphics card, I don’t have OpenCL or HIP.

Infuriatingly, Windows works with whatever I throw in the machine - it just finds the hardware, loads a driver and we’re off to the races. I’m trying to live a clean Linux life but I’m risking excommunication from the church of Emacs. If St. IGNUtius reads this I’m dead.

Thanks.

Preliminary OS install, or installing additional AMD software?

Additional.

None of the distros that I use regularly - Debian, Kubuntu, Fedora - work fully with graphics cards out of the box. I mean they work with nouveau or Mesa, but you don’t get full capabilities like CUDA or OpenCL. You do in Windows…

Although if you know of any distro that works as well as Windows with GPUs out of the box I’ll give it a try!

PopOS has a Nvidia distro that is specifically built and maintained to retain compatibility with Nvidia GPU’s. Idk if that includes the professional stuff like CUDA but it would probably be the easiest place to start if you are trying to work in the Nvidia ecosystem.

Fedora only supports FOSS software out of the box so stuffing closed source drivers into it is a pita.

Between Pop OS and Manjaro, would offer proprietary ISO variants [for nVIDIA]

i am running a rx6600xt AND a rx6900xt on my systems just fine. they worked in debian(sid) and are now running garuda dragonized. i haven’t noticed any issues with blender on garuda, but i haven’t tested in a while and garuda is arch-based.

Did you install any other drivers than came with the distro in order to the get the Radeon GPUs working fully? They work fine as far as basic functionality and high resolutions go, but without firmware - as I understand it you need the ROCm drivers - there’s no OpenCL functionality. I’ve also read that in recent distros AMD has fallen behind on this support and so drivers that used to work probably won’t work any more.

In my experience, and I think that of a lot of GNU/Linux users, full graphics support on Linux whether Nvidia or AMD (and I suppose now Intel too) is very difficult and fragile. It’s why I’m having to maintain multi-boot on my systems with Windows installed (and that means 3 Windows licences)

Best to my memory, i didn’t HAVE to install anything in garuda. i installed a bunch of things though so i can’t say for sure(overclocking/thermal monitoring/etc). as for debian(sid), i didn’t extensively test in blender.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.