Do USB C/Thunderbolt on monitors also connect to the USB hubs?

I’m in the midst of buying a Ultra wide monitor for work at home as my old 1080 screen is to low res. Many newer monitors these days have USB C to connect to Ultrabooks for both charging, data och video signal, which is great because I now have a XPS 13 2019 model. However I was thinking, today I am also switching my keyboard and mouse between my desktop and my laptop everyday and its getting tiresome. And seeing that many monitors today also includes a regular USB hub. Would connecting my mouse and keyboard to the monitor USB hub, also connect these to my laptop, and thus acting as a kind of KVM switch almost?

Mouse&Keyboard->Monitor USB HUB->USB C Cable>Laptop

Or am I just dreaming of a world to good to be true? I have been looking at this model more specifically and they do say it sends data but I’m not sure what they mean:

They have this image: https://image-us.samsung.com/SamsungUS/home/computing/monitors/curved/pd/lc34h890wjnxza/features/CH89_TypeC_MF2_FreeUP_imgcut.jpg?feature-benefit-jpg

Which I guess they mean that you could use your mouse and speakers with the tablet?

No it does, though it might depend on the model. You can daisy chain up to 6 stuff deep. This is exactly what I do with my setup.

They do? Thats awesome!

See edit.

Just keep in mind that you will need to get a high quality hub that allows you to use a display through the type thunderbolt and you will likely only have 1 or two on them and that has to connect to the one on your computer.

My Samsung does have a caveat though, and that is that only the peripherals work when on the type C display output, so if I have something running on a different graphical output on the monitor the peripherals will not work.

I am not sure if this is the same case for all monitors with a type c but mine is a Samsung C34H89x

Hmm yeah this was what I wanted to ask as well.

I plan to have my desktop gaming computer connected to the same monitor via Displayport for gaming occasionally. How would I connect it to the hub? My desktop does not have USB C.

I found what works best for me is to have a type c -> HDMI on one input on my monitor to my macbook and then have my gaming pc connected via display port.

Then I just connect the one thunderbolt cable to what ever computer I feel like using at the time since my mobo has a thunderbolt.

On my hub I have my mouse, keyboard, mic, and camera.

Oh I just re-read your post, and I think I jumped the gun in telling you it was possible sorry.

I do not think they will work like a KVM like how you want. I had the same problem as you and this was my lowest-friction solution.

It’s mostly as issue with how the type-c connection cuts off once the input is switched.

Hehe yeah, switching cables is what I’m doing already, these would just be easier to switch than regular USB. :slight_smile:

I did see a Dell 49" screen having a built in KVM but its out of my price range… :slight_smile:

Are you happ with the screen by the way? I’ve been at this for day, researching stuff. I’m currently picking between these:

AOC CU34G2X, 144Hz but no USB C but 2 Displayport so I can just buy a Displayport to USB C cable. Of course no charging, but I feel its ok. Its about 600 Euro.

Samsung C34H890, 100 Hz, USB C, About 800 Euro

Samsung C34J791, 100Hz, Quantum Dot Though, USB C, About 900 Euro

Yeah that’s what I’m using and I love it.

100 Hz. VA panel, amd freesync.

Each port is capable of 100 Hz btw not just the thunderbolt.

I agree. That’s why I just have to move 1 cable now to switch all my stuff over so I feel pretty satisfied with this mitigation.

Here is the dock I am using.

Thanks!

One more questions. Lets say I connect my mouse and keyboard to the monitor USB hub. Could I then connect a USB cable from the monitor and attach a USB C to a regular USB adapter and connect it to my current desktop that lack USB C? Or this would not work? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

One more questions. Lets say I connect my mouse and keyboard to the monitor USB hub. Could I then connect a USB cable from the monitor and attach a USB C to a regular USB adapter and connect it to my current desktop that lack USB C? Or this would not work? :slight_smile:

So the type c will be on the monitor and the typc 3.1 g2 type A will be on the receiving end of your computer?

I mean normally it would be like this:
Keyboard & Mouse -->USB A Monitor Hub -->USB C To laptop

But could I connect the Keyboard and Mouse to the desktop like this also:
Keyboard & Mouse -->USB A Monitor Hub -->USB C To USB A Adapter–>USB A port on desktop

Or that wouldn’t work?

@Dynamic_Gravity I got the screen now! Really dig the resolution and the aspect ratio, its perfect to have two windows side by side, using IDE and browser at the same time etc. :=)

What settings are you using with the monitor? I think the colors are a bit dull perhaps, which is common on VA as I understood, but you have any particular color settings? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol I actually don’t because I haven’t messed with it much. There are separate color profiles though like vivid.

I see.

Did you ever use the cable pass through on the stand? According to the manual, you are supposed to rip this plastic piece off to put the cables there but I don’t know how. If I pull any harder, I will break it. You can see it here:

Is there some tab or something to pull?

No you just yank it off. Though I us d ifixit prying tools

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.