Do I really need to have DMZ on to expose my servers to the internet?

Okay so I am having a slight issue with my Asus router. For some reason I need to have DMZ on in order to expose one server to the internet but the thing is that it only let’s me expose one server and since I am having a server with a couple of VMs that I would wanna expose to the internet it is not possible since all the VMs have different IPs. Is it possible to work around this?

Use one VM as a virtual router. Then expose it to the open web. This only works though if all the servers use different ports.

You should be forwarding port(s) rather than using a DMZ if at all posible. Just forward whatever ports the servers are using.

1 Like

I tired that but as long as the internal IP is not exposed using DMZ it is not possible.

Well that shouldn’t be to hard I think. I could probably do that on the host machine right and use static routes or something?

I don’t know your setup. I just know back when I was in college I convinced the big wigs in IT that I should be allowed a static IP off the schools block of address. But I only got one. So I ran pfSense in a VM and did the port forwarding to other VMs. It worked actually quite well. It also would allow you to logically separate your network. One for servers. One for home devices. Because that one exposed is gonna be clobbered by hacking attempts

Hmm yeah I could probably use pfSense yeah. pfSense doesn’t use to much resources right?

Couple cores and have gig should do it I think

I think it’s more likely that there’s a problem with your port forwarding setup rather than it won’t work unless you use DMZ. If that were the case I doubt the router would have port forwarding options at all.

1 Like