Do I need to replace my CPU?

I have mx4 thermal paste

it jumps alot up and down sometimes it's in 50c for a second, then it goes to 36c it's just really weird. I'm not trying to push my CPU that hard, I don't even feel like I need to OC just to get extra perfomances, I just want to run my games at 1080 at 60fps, and that's pretty much it.

reapply thermal paste and check to make sure your fans make sense in the direction of the air flow.

I have an antec p9, I just got a few days ago. I have 2x140mm on the top, 2x120mm on the front and they are both blowing air in. I have another 120mm in the back sucking air out and and another 120mm on the bottom sucking out air.

to hard for the air to get out, Change top to out and rest to in IMO.

Remember heat rises

I would probably do 2 in the front and the two top out and the 1 rear out, and ditch the bottom one.

the cooler is facing vertically and not horizontal, in order to give space for my ram, the fans on the cooler are sucking in air.

Which motherboard do you have?
i have missed that part somewhere.

Take a picture of your insides

That's kind of how Intel CPUs act though... at least if my memory serves correct from a few videos I watched many many moons ago.

Your temps are perfectly fine imo

I've run the 4790k at 85-95 C for a long time at one point (about a week, constant benchmark script to get an average of scores and to see if there was any performance differences from running it hard for so long) and it was fine, nothing ever happened to it. I usually OC it around 4.85ish and it runs from 60-80 under load, and I just turn my AC right down.

You can't really kill those chips from heat alone, you need to run a lot of voltage through them. They're tougher than people give them credit for. Your temps are fine and I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't have an AC and it's making your room hot in which case, it won't matter anyway cause it's still going to be expelling the same amount of heat regardless of the temp on the core

msi z97A gaming6

Oh, well that's great! thanks because it seems every parts that I replaced gave me so much problems, that I feared that the CPU would need to be replaced because everything else has been screwing me over, but reading from what you have been saying makes me glad, thank you!

2 Likes

1 Like

Hmm you are kinda blocking your airflow that way.

That's true but I don't think he has much room to move with that massive cooler, it'll hit the ram...

Well he basiclly could set the fans higher on the cooler.
That way it might fit.
I have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE which is similar size.
But yeah i use Corsair Vengeance lpx rams, those fit under the cooler.

Not sure how high profile those i believe Mushkin rams are?

If you can't rotate the cooler you could just move the gpu to one of the lower PCI-E slots. 8x isn't much of a noticeable performance difference if you're just playing games and stuff

Its like zero preformance loss even at like gtx 1080 levels

1 Like

That all looks perfectly fine, and normal. My 5820k, if it's idling, and then I nail it with a workload, it'll jump to upper 50's or low 60's within 2-3 seconds. The software and sensors just aren't perfect. Ya really only need to focus on minimum and max temps, I wouldn't worry about the rate at which the temps go up or down.

I would say you are perfectly fine and safe. In fact, your temps are probably better than 80% of people running similar hardware.

1 Like