Do i actually need motherboard risers?

In this case I put them in but when they are in I cant line the motherboard up with the I/O metal plate thing, so I can only fit it in when I dont have any MB risers in. Not like they are essential right?

They are supposed to stop the motherboard from shorting itself to the case.

you really have to check and see if there is enough room between the MB and the mounting plate. If it touches, you may just want to get creative with insulating the MB without causing too much of a heat problem. OR get a new case.

what case do you have?

yes they are essential you may have installed the plate wrong. Pop it out and try again, You NEED the risers or your motherboard will short out on you and cause hours of rage. Also, You don't need to use every riser, like you don't need every screw.

Dont even dare trying.... The motherboard will die within 2 seconds upon boot.. Why?

Metal connecting all the shit on the motherboard together = bad....

You NEED risers.. If it dont fit, then it's a bad case :3

go ahead and try it... nothinggggg bad will happen

there are absolutely no consequences to shorting out all the traces on a motherboard :]

annihil8or wrote 27 minutes ago »

In this case I put them in but when they are in I cant line the motherboard up with the I/O metal plate thing, so I can only fit it in when I dont have any MB risers in. Not like they are essential right?

Think about it for a second, what usually happens when a ground is filled with electricity? poof everything around it becomes part of one single circuit and you're left with a thin toxic brick. If you have those cheap plastic risers, take them off, go to a computer store and ask for some risers and screws, they'll usually give some free of charge. (the thickest ones are actually for server cases so use the risers that are about 5mm wide)

well what my friend did was she used the IO plate shield that came with her case and not the mobo im not saying that happened to you but you might want to check it out haha

There's motherboard risers and there's motherboard spacers

Risers are brass/copper fittings to keep your motherboard from touching the steel/aluminum/whatever motherboard tray that has a batshit insane current traveling through it from your PSU.

Spacers are about 1" risers that extend the board out completely, but the I/O is not usable since they don't line up.

I have spacers for my Thermaltake Armor since there are no cable management holes; I feed all of the cables underneath the motherboard.

wow, I must have been tired when I wrote this, What I meant was I have seen some cases.. very short lived ones. that had built in risers, so the need for extra ones were not needed... but then again.. I am going back more years than I want to admit.

Final thoughts...  Motherboards == circuit board; metal case == conductive. If you smell smoke you did something wrong.
If you have a case that is NOT plexiglass or some other non-conductive material, Use the risers.. That is what they are there for.

LOL, Spite.

I found my motherboard without Risors and BEFORE the mother board went out (it was resetting on it’s own and would have static noise on my audio before it crashed.

So it was working Directly on the Case with no risers apparently, also for almost a year before it began having issues but I think the case caused interference also my power supply was failing and would auto start when I hit main power on.

So you can get away with it IF your system is GROUNDED WELL and you don’t have a single Short HOT to ground.

It’s a risk.

I was unaware but lucky for a while.
In fact I’m ordering a set now just to have on hand.

Really it’s all about Your Grounding Quality and if it is shorted at all.

Any short and bam good by mother board (in my case it Erased my MBo Bios due to “static electrical buildup” that came from my case.