DIY NAS / Server

Do you really need a PC as a NAS for the price of 1500? I understand that you want to use hdd you already have? How much CPU power do you require?
I quite often recommend Odroid HC2 and one very large HDD for small purposes, just for such purposes as backup and file sharing in lan up to 1Gb/s.
It is a compact solution, quiet and energy-saving. But of course it has its limitations and will not replace a powerful PC.

But if it is to be a fast machine with VM and necessarily x86 then probably this solution will not suit you :wink:

Half joke, half seriously, maybe something like that :wink:

Thanks for your input. Initially, I was going to build one powerful PC to do the stuff that you mentioned about VM’s, etc. in addition to being a server for the rest of the family. I honestly did not know that backing up my disk collection was illegal and also that the speed was dependent of the BD burner. Now I am leaning toward building 2 boxes. One low power one to serve my music and my movies. The second PC is for when my current 7 year old PC craps out on me. By that time, I might be building an AMD system with a year old 670 chipset.

p.s. I wonder who uses that high end disk changer that you have linked?

This would be my own videos shot of the kids when they were young and later when they were participating in orchestra and choir.

It is now a relic of the past, although I have heard that among BR collectors who can afford to buy, quite popular. Such an old school of media storage especially popular when someone has a home “out of grid” and limited resources of electricity, A PC that would work 24/7 only for you to see one movie once a week rather it would not be an inefficient solution. They were probably also bought by people who have “Home Theater” … you know, people who have $$$ :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.