DIY JBOD Build Sanity Check

As always, I have ran out of storage. I built a NAS and quickly filled it up. I am planning on building a disk shelf and attaching it to my exising nas, but I am a little confused on a couple things. But first, the parts list:

Existing Server

• CPU: i3 6300
  • RAM : 16 GB ECC Kingston value something or other (I know I need more, and I’ll probably just buy a 64GB non-ecc kit eventually)
  • HDD’s: 5x 4TB HGST Desktstar Nas 7200 rpm

Disk Shelf

QTNA

1. Is there something blatant that I’m missing?
  2. How much power will all this use? According to Tom’s Hardware, these HDD’s use like 10 W max? so like 150 for all of them? That doesn’t sound right but idk
  3. I think that expander card would give me enough ports to solve my storage issue, but would I need a second one to get 12Gbps? i.e. 2 cables between disk shelf and controller
  4. General advice / cheaper parts

Sorry for the wall of text, I just don’t want to mess this up and I’m betting I will

Why not just get a netapp shelf?

1 Like

Can that hold more than 2 TB drives? The caddy’s say 2 TB but I guess that’s more based on the controller?

Oh, shoot, good question. @wendell, these are the shelves you’re using, correct? Do you know if they’re good for large disks?

Just looked at the reviews:

Works great as DAS shelf
Works great with my LSI 9207-8e with SFF8088 to QSFP cable connected to my Linux server. Used with 10TB shucked WD drives.

Looks like it should be good for large disks.

2 Likes

Ive used up to 10tb without issue

2 Likes

Empty Dell and HPE shelves are usually very cheap as well.

2 Likes

Do these DS4243/4246 shelves support SATA drives without the interposers (when used as a JBOD shelf)? Basically the SATA shelves are quite a bit more expensive than the SAS shelves (at least in the EU).

But as far as I’m aware you can connect SATA to a SAS connector, however not sure what the interposers are for then in the NetApps? There’s also some stories of the interposers causing issues for people and the shelves running better without them, so not quite sure what’s what at this point.

Anybody have some insight? Are the interposers needed for use in JBOD?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.