DisplayPort 1.4 KVM with AW3225QF

Hello.

I’ve had my Level 1 Techs triple monitor two computer displayport 1.4 KVM for a few years now. I’ve been using it with three 4k monitors at 60Hz, driven by my RTX 3090, and it’s worked flawlessly.

I recently upgraded my main monitor to an Alienware aw3225qf, which supports refresh rates of up to 240Hz. The new monitor works just fine with the KVM when set at 60Hz, but displays no output when configured at higher refresh rates. I’ve replaced my copper cables with the recommended 3m Fibbr cables, but that hasn’t helped. When connected directly to the GPU, the monitor runs at 4k 240Hz with no issues using the displayport cable that came in the box, as well as both Fibbr cables.

In most similar posts, low quality cabling has been the culprit. I’ve already gone through no-name cables, Club 3D cables, and now Fibbr all with the same result, so I think we can rule out cables. I’m using the latest GPU drivers and firmware, so that shouldn’t be the issue, either. I’m a bit stumped at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Any options between 60 and 240hz? Tried 120hz?

One person on here put foil around the ends of the fibbr cables and that helped.

What was the setup before this and which model kvm is it?

Hi, @wendell. Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ve tried 120Hz. Same result. I have not tried foil on the cable ends, though. I’ll give that a shot.

Before getting the new monitor, I had an Asus PA328Q in its place. I also have a Dell S2721QS going through the KVM. Both monitors were running at 4k, 60Hz.

I have the 10gbps USB variant of the triple monitor two computer displayport 1.4 KVM.

What’s the total cable length with club3d on both sides of the kvm? I.e. club3d in and out of the kvm?

When I tried the Club3d cables, I was using a 2m cable from the GPU to the KVM, and a 1m cable from the KVM to the monitor, so 3m total.

Normally that’s okay, so that’s a real puzzler. You can mail it in for further diagnostics if you want. Email me Wendell at level1techs.com

At the end of the model on the sticker on the bottom does it end in A or B? If A that’s only dp1.2; B is dp1.4

The model number is PAAG-ET3132B, so it should be a dp1.4 unit.
I tried putting foil on the fibbr cable ends. No joy.
I’ll send you an email. Thanks, again!

1 Like

I have the same monitor and I bought this $80 KVM on Amazon for 2 monitors and surprisingly no issues at all and I get the max refresh rate along with HDR and VRR/G-Sync

I have exactly the same monitor and exactly the same issue. If I connect via the KVM I can only do 60Hz, if I try 120 or 240 it just says no input detected. If I use the same cable and connect directly to one of the computers then the full 240 works just fine.

Just following up here that better cables did fix my issue. I had 3m DP 1.4 cables → KVM → 1m DP 1.4 cable, and I swapped the 3m for a better quality 2m and things started working.

1 Like