DisplayLINK cable for pixel device (Is there such a thing)?

I wish to find a decentish reasonably priced DisplayLINK cable for my Pixel device to plug into a display when offline.

I am currently using a secondary device with a chromecast, but now im carrying a second device AND have a dongle device… I would rather cut out the middle man and just plug my device straight in.

IIRC DisplayLink will only work if you connect it via USB OTG to a DiplayLink dock, and it only works with their app to mirror your screen. So you get to use a dongle anyway.

1 Like

The dongle part I’m fine with but it’s a tad annoying having a second device… I’m kinda stuck with limited options at the moment. I’d rather not have to buy a tablet or a laptop that are mostly unnecessary when all I want is to be able to watch a bigger screen in the car than phone size. I could have grabbed a Samsung device but I like to tinker too much lol

Google probably killed MHL or any other USB-C alt mode to sell Chromecast dongles, so your only other option would be DisplayLink dongle/dock and presenter app - clunky AF IMO.

1 Like

Yep I agree with your thoughts on selling more Chromecasts.

I get that I am probably an edge case but it’s just annoying. Either give us cable mode on the phone or allow better ability to use chrome cast without internet constantly… They taking away both at the moment

2 Likes

It is purely an Apple strategy unfortunately. I had pre-order the NReal Airs to use with my phone. At the time, I had an HTC device that has since died. Now that the NReals have shipped, I found out that it will not work with my Pixel devices unless I flash a new ROM onto them because Google has killed USB-C Alt Mode in the kernel itself.

Looking on XDA, it seems that yes, the reasoning was because they wanted us to use Chromecast and even in their articles, it mentioned just use the Chromecast. If you really need to display onto a larger screen or device then you can use this cool proprietary technology called DisplayLink (please confuse this with DisplayPort).

The upsetting things is that the devices actually support Displayport of USB-C but Google kills the kernel option. On top of that the cables that they ship with the Pixel devices cannot support Alt Mode over USB-C because they are glorified 30W charging cables that are not capable of true USB 3.Whatever Generation WhocaresAnymore.

2 Likes