Display signal randomly drops in KVM or monitor

I have a L1 DisplayPort 1.4 4 Port KVM connected to an ASUS Tuf VG28UQL1A and the monitor will randomly lose the display signal (it goes black and says “No Signal”). This happens with all of the computers connected to the KVM, and
all of them will also no longer detect the monitor. Everything usually works again when I power cycle the monitor.

I’ve noticed that it happens more often when I am playing games at a high framerate. Usually when it happens in a game, there’s also an accompanying brief clicking/popping sound. But because this happens randomly and quickly, I haven’t been able to identify what is producing that noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can identify the issue and fix it?

Is there any way you could get a video to help us troubleshoot your issue?

I’ll try to get a video, but it doesn’t happen all that frequently.

I managed to get a video of it happening but I am not sure how to upload it. My account is too new to upload files so I uploaded it to youtube, but apparently I am not allowed to post links so that doesn’t really work either.

You can hear the clicking/popping sound as it goes black, and then the monitor has no signal, and turns itself off. It takes a few seconds for it to register that I hit the power button to turn it back on, and then it’s fine.

For some context on the frequency of this happening, this was the first time this issue happened since I made this thread. But I’ve also have had it happen 3 times within 2 hours several weeks ago. This frequency of once every couple of days is more typical. The monitor did also lose signal yesterday (when I wasn’t filming), however there was no sound so I am unsure whether that is the same problem.

1 Like

I suspect the signal is “borderline” or one of your cables is picking up outside interference from something.

You could try adding some ferrite clips which help squelch outside interference:

or pickup some Club3d DP cables which are higher quality and that will more likely clear things up for you.

1 Like

@wendell Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve purchased some Club3d cables. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

1 Like

sounds good. I just had two different people, one in germany, that seemed to get fake cables. Fibbr brand fiber optic is also another good choice in case you have trouble but lmk.

2 Likes

How can I tell if the cables are fake?

At first, the Club3d cables were noticeably worse. The signal would drop every couple of minutes. During that time, I was able to figure out that the popping noise was coming from my monitor’s speakers, so I guess that’s caused by interference on the audio lines?

However the cable I hadn’t replaced was the right angle adapter since I have a Meshlicious case. After I removed that and plugged the cable in directly, the signal hasn’t dropped since, although it’s only been a few hours. I’ll need to get a higher quality right angle adapter as having the computer on its side is not a viable long term solution.

Oh yeah if you don’t have club3d on both sides then that could cause issues. It’s weird it’s worse though? Could be an impedence mismatch I guess.

There’s about 4 training levels a monitor can do tomorrow to negotiate with the GPU that happens at a pretty low level. If you were training at max, level 4, and with club3d level3 is too little but level4 is too much then you can be in a weird no man’s land of snr ratio. Sometimes a ferrite bead cleas that up

So maybe try a ferrite bead on your right angle cable?