Display Port Cable Crackling

Hey folks, I am having some strange behavior from some display port cables. I have a Mac Book Pro connected to the 2 monitor 4 port KVM with moshi display port cables. When I unplug them from the Mac Book, I get a crackling sound from the cable or port itself (not audio). Has anyone ever experienced this and am I destroying my hardware? :rofl:

EDIT: They are DP to USB-C cables.

Any chance to take a recording of this?

1 Like

That is… the fact both ports do it wants me say it is electrical (somehow), but your guess is as good as mine.

1 Like

Use a grounded plug for your MBP charger and I bet this problem goes away

I’ve had similar things with HDMI cables

Either way, this is nothing to worry about

2 Likes

This is disturbing enough to me to get the grounded cable lol. I’ll let you know if it ends the phenomenon!

this is the issue, the ground level is not the same between these devices. its actually kinda hard on the electronics… these on the same, or different plugs. old house without a “real” ground?

eventually it’ll murder something. the crackling is usually harmless static sparks but every now and then the harmless static will jump somewhere its not supposed to be and then everything sensitive is dead.

I have a keyboard with a steel frame and i swear I feel electrons when my elbow brushes against it while I use the mac :rofl:

For posterity’s sake, changing the power cable did not end the phenomenon. It was a good idea though!