Display driver crashes no crash/exit code

I bought a used overclocked mining. It was cheep and i was low on cash. I have a new GPU coming but it will be a while. But it would be cool to fix this problem.

So whenever i am playing certain games the graphics driver crashes. When it happens its fairly consistent. In Plague tale innocence it is random but always happens after an in game action. ie: the play looks in the direction of a look here prompt, pressing the continue game after you get spotted, walking into a cut scene after just loading in. (not going from the start of the level to that scene. It also happens in Black mesa when at the start of the game and going back from the alien dimension.

In both cases there will be a loss of display and the monitor will say no display. Every fan will go all the way up. GPU fans, case cans and CPU fans. The audio will have some looping sections. In black mesa its the same 1 second entering dimension sound looping. In plague tale innocence its looking sound effects but the music continues normally.

The other game i have is halo infinite multiplayer but that has never crashed.

So i don’t know what to do. The only way to fix it is to press and hold the power button or turn the machine on and off.

I have restarted many times. I have used DDU to fix my drivers. I have tried updating drivers through windows and AMD Adrenaline. I’m on the newest version of windows 10. Everything but my GPU is brand new and can be rma’ed if need be.

What should i try next? It would be cool if someone knows exactly what to do but if the only help i get is some troubleshooting step i am unaware of or just starting me on the right path that’s all i need. Hopefully i can post my answer to the problem eventually.

go into bios and enable hpet or high precision event timer. it may need setting to 32 or 64 (use which ever bitrate your o.s. is … ie 64 for 64 bit)
save and reboot.
try your games… they should now work.

the crash you describe is typical for windows 7/10/11 running without hpet enabled.

No luck there. I tried it both enabled and disabled and still crashed in the same manner. I did however have to change it using either command prompt or device manager as i could not find the option in the bios. I have a MSI PRO B550M-VC WIFI board. Also i could not find the option to change the bit rate.

ok try the long winded approach :slight_smile:

go into bios and load optimized defaults.
go to your memory tab and set your xmp profile to enabled.
go to your boot order and check that windows is your primary boot.
again check hpet and enable it if needed.
save and quit… leaving everything else stock.

boot into windows and open an elevated command prompt.
run dism.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
then
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
then
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

then run sfc /scannow

this should fix your o.s if it needs it.

now go to micosofts visual-c downloads
and download every major version for each year from 2010.

Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Learn

most of which can be found above… take both x86 versions and x64

then do the same for direct x.
download each version from 9.c if you have old games. through dx10 june update dx11 and then use the web installer…

download a fresh gpu driver also… (reason being if your memory was bad anything you downloaded at the time would have errors writen into it as it passed through memory. so corrupting your driver before you even get to use it)

this seems long winded but it will put a lot of needed files that are often missing from redist folders of games on to your system, and will help stabilise your system overall.

if this doesnt work then look at testing your ram and other hardware.

1 Like