[Discuss] G blocks "side-loaded" apps in Singapore

Hello world,

So I know this is a week old topic but I wanted to touch on this and hear what your opinions are.

The topic at hand Google will block Android users from installing 'unsafe' apps in fraud protection test | ZDNET

The gist, Singapore and Google want to block apps from installing from a website to prevent users loosing their 2FA from SMS, and whatnot scams.

My take on this is that this is a fault of Google in the Android OS to allow poor management / containerization of applications running on a device, (my assumption) just to get more data from the users. Applications shouldn’t be banned, that is just monopolistic and anti-consumer behavior.
And another reason why I’m probably going to switch to Linux phones.

What do you think, should they ban these applications? What is next, Aptoide?

Better sandboxing is absolutely needed in android.

GrapheneOS has made some improvements to sandboxing.

Many applications ask for unnecessary permissions beyond what is required for functionality. data siphoning, tracking and adware = malware.

Ideally users don’t grant SMS read permissions to random apps from sketchy websites. How do you protect users from themselves? Education.

But do not block side-loading. I own my device. edit: its not blocking side-loading, looks like just Play Protect just scanning for known offenders

1 Like

Android itself forces many of those permissions. Location being the big one as of v6. That is a massive invasion of privacy and very few people spoke up against it.

When you no longer control a device, it’s no longer yours.

2 Likes