Disassembling Fury X Cooler

Terve!
A friend of mine has a Fury X that constantly overheats. After some checking I found that the pump on the AIO Cooler has a mechanical defect (makes noises when plugged into 12V, but doesn’t pump any water).
Just for the hell of it, I’d like to ghetto mound an AIO Cooler for a CPU on that GPU. It seems like the holes are fitting, but I am having trouble getting the VRM Cooler off the reinforcing Metal plate.
Here’s a picture of the cooler, I am talking about the copper thing on the right of the actual pump/GPU cooler thing.

Thank you for all the help.
Sayonara!
Shadow

1 Like

Unfortunately, you cannot. The cold plate was specifically designed to work with he raised HBM memory on the die. Any ol’ AIO will not work. You risk severely damaging it.

You would have to buy the exact same cooler directly.

3 Likes

or ek waterblock for fury

7 Likes

they make those?

2 Likes

If you can find one, EK has it listed as End of Life, performance pcs has the xspc block in stock.

Not sure if any aftermarket air coolers were made but a block and custom loop would be my choice

2 Likes

Shim it with copper.

GN used a regular cpu block in Vega FE with good results. Also a HBM card.

1 Like

Like others have mentioned, there are waterblocks for the Fury X, then you need got get a pump and reservoir, radiator and fan.

Part examples

https://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-razor-r9-fury-x-full-cover-gpu-waterblock.html

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-tube-zmt-matte-black-19-4-12-5mm

There is just one problem with that: Getting all of the parts required to get the card in working condition again will set you back more money than buying a new GPU.

Alternatively, write an email to https://www.arctic.ac and ask if their Accelero Xtreme III or Xtreme IV works on the FuryX. Rajintek has the Morpheus II, lists the R9 Fury as supported, would have to ask them if the FuryX is supported too.
Changing over to an air-cooler will be a lot cheaper than replacing the watersetup.

1 Like

Terve!
Personally I don’t know if it will work. What I saw is that the GPU itself has a cutout in the Copper plate going over the rest of the card. (an there’s some kind of plate under the AIO itself, so anything flat should do the trick)
My plan is to ghetto mound something onto the GPU and use a cooling fin (or two) on the metal plate that acts as a heat spreader for the rest of the card.
If I see it not working I’ll integrate it with my other PCs liquid cooling loop and use the stock cooler equipped fury in that PC. It’s more of a passion project for me tbh.
Thank you for the info though.
Sayonara!
Shadow

worst comes to worst if you know someone who is skilled in cnc milling machines if you take accurate measurements (or take the component to them) they can probably custom mill your cooling plate out of copper and solder the tubing and cover plate on it for you.

1 Like

That thing is a fucking monster and with two high quality fans mounted it is very quiet for 300W cards. My Vega64 is not hitting 70°, not even in heavy stress testing.

Can recommend. :+1:

3 Likes

Really doesn’t have to be that hard.

Peeps in this thread really need to go look up what GN did with their Vega FE - they used a regular AIO CPU block and got great results out of it.

The HBM + Die on Vega (and presumably also Fury) and Radeon 7 doesn’t even make great contact with the stock heat sink due to differences in height. Having a CPU cooler that is convex in the middle may even help that if it has some flex in it (so long as it doesn’t crack anything :smiley: ).

Either way, GN got great results.

edit:
the only mods GN needed to do were with regards to drilling mounting holes in the cooler mounting (or maybe they made their own, i forget) for the vega hole spacing - it is different to CPU mount spacing.

1 Like

Terve!
The Rajintek cooler is ordered, should arrive today. I soldered some cables together to have a VGA to 4 pin fan adapter.
I’ll upload pictures if I remember.
Sayonara!
Shadow
Edit: I didn’t go for the AIO in the end because the PC I am planning on using the GPU in doesn’t really support that and I don’t have an AIO lying around to try.

1 Like

I look forward to seeing follow-up pics and results!

1 Like

Like the 15 pin, blue video connector?

1 Like

Terve!
Not exactly, it seems like the fan connector is also called “VGA”. I essentially made this cable myself.

Sayonara!
Shadow

Ah I get you now. The fan headers on GPUs are smaller and need a breakout.to a regular case fan size.

1 Like

Terve!
As requested I shall post the pictures. Results are still pending since I haven’t fully tested the GPU yet (3D Mark got it up to a temperature of 72°C).
If there are any admins that cam make the pictures into thingies, please go ahead.
First off: the constructed adapter:

Next is the GPU with the small heatsinks on (I am not certain if the top ones are needed, but I mounted them anyways.

After trying to mound the cooler I realized that some of the coolers interfered with the heatpipes. Therefore I mounted them in a different way:

At last there’s a picture of the card in the PC.

Benchmarks shall follow - although I am not sure what those should be saying since it’s a regular Fury X after all.
Sayonara!
Shadow

2 Likes

putting heatsinks on the chokes/inductors leads to lower temperature of the PCB, wich helps with VRM cooling in a way.

Nice mod.

1 Like

Dude, so how did the mod work out?

I have a Fury X and have considered a custom loop, but your mod seems better for my needs.

AmA

Hello
Well, it’s abeefy tripple slot card, but it works like a charm.
I considered putting in a second air cooled Fury X, but I don’t have the space for it.
Sayonara!
Shadow
Edit: make sure you get the morpheus II, not the morpheus apparently that one doesn’t fit.

1 Like