Disabling NVIDIA HDMI Audio on Ubuntu 21.04

First post and hopefully I’m posting in the right place.

I’m having an issue with my gaming / work rig. I’m running a ROG Dark Hero Motherboard with an RTX 3090. I have two monitors attached to DP ports on the GPU. I use the MB’s built-in sound card’s SPDIF output for sound.

In linux the NVIDIA driver creates a sound driver for each monitor, and because there are three sound drivers both operating systems seem to get confused on which driver to output the sound to.

In linux I’ve tried using mod-probe to blacklist /remove the kernel driver that provides the audio snd_hda_codec_hdmi and snd_hda_codec. Unfortunately the motherboard also uses this codec so this disables all sound. Grr.

Looking at the nvidia server settings - it looks like my dell monitors are saying that they support displayport audio when there is nothing and no way to disable it.

Any suggestions would be great here. I’ve done a bunch of googling of the issue, and I see threads from nvidia and on the dell forums for issues where this is still unsolved.

Ok I was able to solve this for linux by adding to a file in modprobe.d:

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=0x0,-1,-1

The irony is I spent hours looking previously, and just after posting this found the right answer which was buried in an nvidia support page titled “HDMI Audio on NVIDIA GPUs”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.