Digital Artists Thread: Tools Tips Tricks And More

Why there isn’t a general arts category I don’t understand but… I mean OK, whatever.

So I’m starting to pursue my old dream of animation. I started thinking about it at the beginning of the year and decided I’d get a tablet and look up some tools and figure it out on the way. So 45 dollars and a linux installation later I have a Huion H420 and I’m playing with it on a laptop. When I brought it to my desktop I found issues with Krita that I have since fixed them for the most part, and otherwise found solutions for issues that I was having. Some I’ll chat about, but for the most part I really just wanted a digi-art thread for people to post works to, knowing that some people here do this sorta thing. And maybe I’ll get good advice as a beginner, I don’t know. As of now I haven’t had time to get used to it so I’ve been just using the krita line tool to get used to a pen again, since I really don’t have to write very often. Haha.

The first problem I brought up a few days ago with krita just lagging and even not rendering properly. My solution to this seems really stupid, but I can have my res set to what I like to work in and it doesn’t seem to bitch anymore. On the right-hand side of krita in brush settings you can use the smooth tool. Turns out my problem might have something to do with how the brush works, so putting the smooth tool on to the size of the brush and just doing whatever seems to have just shut the thing up. I didn’t even know there WAS a smooth tool. People keep telling me to buy one. o.o???

Next, my mac had this cool thing where the tablet was bound to one screen only. On my linux box my tablet gets bound to all three monitors in an L shape (Imagine an ARandR screen and then just take that screen to a drawing tablet, AND mine is super tiny. Pain in the ass.) So I did some googling for a day and found a tool called PTXConf, which allows you to bind your tablet to a monitor. http://wenhsinjen.github.io/ptxconf/ I kept seeing terminal commands being listed and none of them work, and for my tablet, probably huion over all, you have to select the pen in the config, not the tablet (whereas wacom you just select the tablet. IDK how that works).

Those are probably simple BS tricks, but they seem a little complex to me. Mostly I want to know why Krita is such a pain in the dick with me, but its probably good practice to have the smoother on anyways… If anyone else wants to share stuff please do!