Did Intel drop full vPro on 13th gen desktop CPUs?

Hi all,

I’ve tried to ask this in other communities (can’t post links :frowning:), but no one seemed to even know/care about out-of-band management. Of all the communities I know (long-time YouTube fan), this one is the most likely to appreciate OOB.

So did Intel really drop full vPro from all their Raptor Lake-S SKUs? Browsing ARK, I can clearly see it on an SKU like i5-12500 and all other equivalent CPUs from previous generations, but not on any of the current Raptor Lake-S SKUs like i5-13500.

Thanks!

Hi,

I doubt it. Raptor Lake-S is just a refresh, not an entirely new architecture or something like that, and killing vPro would definitely piss off Lenovo, Dell, HPE etc…

I can’t believe it either, that’s why I’m asking. Maybe they’re fine with it becoming mobile-only/embedded-only feature.

Intel Customer Support Technician just replied to me saying:

[…] there are no 13th gen Desktop processors with Intel vPro Technology for now, what we can offer you are embedded or mobile (third-party mini PCs/systems, laptops, etc.) processors in case you are more interested in its generation, however, if your priority #1 is to have this technology in all of your systems, you may consider the previous generations in the meantime.

Unless somebody has any other info on this, I guess that’s what it is. No simple IPMI on DIY systems and cheap used hardware with Q chipsets. I wonder why no media reported on this - noone really noticed?

Alright, I did get a reply on Reddit from user with Q670 chipset and 13600K showing KVM does indeed work.

I’ll try it myself soon with R680E and 13700 to confirm whether this is just a documentation issue.

Aaand now Intel has updated ARK - the mentioned i5-13500 is now eligible for “Intel vPro® Enterprise, Intel vPro® Essentials, Intel vPro® Platform”. This means that Intel either:
a) found the mistake and fixed it, or,
b) takes time to roll out vPro to existing consumer SKUs as suggested by this superuser answer “When the platform will be officially launched […] information on any already launched CPUs will be updated […]”.

So, no, Intel did not drop full vPro with KVM. It seems like it just took some time to get the reality reflected on Intel ARK

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.