Did i go... OVERBOARD with my Motherboard?

what i said still stands, any board in the $130 range will do... it'd not going to just up and die
i've spilled coolant on my board and pushed 1.55v through it and it's still kicking.

Well, how long have you had that board? That's what i'm worried about.

A year.. Or about the equivelant of 3 since I've overclocked it so hard.

Nah it's fine.

Well, i don't know what to say at this point. I'm using a system that was a pre-built, mark-up cash grab with no-name,ZERO reputation hardware inside of it, other than the CPU and hard Drive; AMD and Samsung. The motherboard is a Pegatron Violet 3.02. It's a dinky little turd.

And then there's the issue of H170/Z170. There seems to be no difference in price between the two, yet Z170 is supposedly filled with more higher end features. I'm not seeing a price difference. AT ALL. And i'm not seeing a price difference between DDR4. Unless there's a MAJOR difference. DDR4 2133 and DDR4 2400 = Exactly the same...

all the same price as z170? uhm? did you even look that hard?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157640
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130892
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130884
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3KF8790

as for ram prices being about the same, that's because performance differences are negligible and running higher than 2133 requires memory controller overclocking.

You keep mentioning 'features' like you need them? what exactly do you need? if you just need the damn thing to turn on and run get a simple board.

here, watch this

The difference in price between the first two board is $5. And in general, i see no difference in price. ASUS and MSI are selling two of their H170 "gaming" boards for $175. And i've gotten the low-down on what the difference is between the two. I overall understand that computer hardware is like a series of tools used for different purposes and in different ways. A $175 H170 board, as well as a $170 Z170 board do not do SLI. There's my point. There really is no difference.

Also. I've never heard of having to OC a memory controller for RAM speed higher than 2133MHz. You'd think they would specify that on the RAM.

I was making a point there's cheaper stuff that's all.

ram speed is listed in cpu specs

There is, in every pricerange. But the added awesomeness of Z170 just isn't there until you spend $200+ which is hilarious. And what's this i hear about Skylake maybe being overclockable with non-K CPUs. If that happens, and i chose an H or B series board, i'd be pretty pissed...

you're the one who said they weren't overclocking.

And someone else also said that non-Ks might be overclockable. Sooo? Shit..

it's just rumor i doubt it's going to happen. i'd say just get a low end z170 if you're concerned about it and if it becomes unlocked you can do a mild OC. there's no sense spending 170 dollars on a board unless if there are features you need.

Would go with the GA-H170-D3HP. And Z170 alternative is MSI Z170-A Pro. $5 difference. And there is very little in the way of difference in that price range as well. About $10-15 at most. Again, we're talking Canadian dollars here, too. So the difference is even smaller. But $170 US is quite an expensive board. Though, you can go even higher, it's in the mid $200 range at that point. I will decide on a board. It's a non-issue at this point. Now i've still got the issue of the OS. I need to track down a retail Windows 7 OS. Yay...

well that hdd has been in service a long time.
assuming that mobo the same time
but its still working
so my point is that it probably doesnt make TOOOOO big a difference
and its likely just marketing drizzle to slap on the box
ours will last x years
the other company makes theirs out of gold and says its three times better then the first guys
meh

(after one companies famiously bad batch of caps that caused issues)

@Prenihility i think you should read trough my topic i recently made.
Asrock has released beta biosses for some of their Z170 boards, which unlocks bclk overclocking on skylake non k cpuĀ“s.

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/bclk-overclocking-on-non-k-skylake-cpu-s-has-intel-going-insane/93085

I went with an Asus Maximus V Gene when I built my 3770k build and it's still going strong, I've had evga boards die but so far no Asus boards.

You might want to go with the Intel 6500 instead of the 6400. The clockspeed different is quite big, and the price difference is quite small.

For the motherboard, there are definitely better motherboards for that price.

Personally, what I got for my build was the Intel i5 6500 and GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 for like $50 more. The CPU is around 700mhz faster, and the board has a lot more features.

More features are normally available on the Z boards compared to H, Q and B. I personally went with a Z170 board with an Intel 6500.

Sounds like really great news. But me being the OCD motherphuquer that i am... It also brings up a new series of seemingly endless questions and concerns. First, it's only happening with ASRock boards. Second, apparently, BCLK OCing causes instability, due to RAM being affected. But i hear that it isn't the case with the Skylake platform? They are in fact separate? Same with PCIE?

If this is a reality... i'd love to bring an i5 6500 to 4.0GHz, maybe a tad more. The Nehalem could do it back in 2008 at 45nm... The Skylake, being so efficient, and at 14nm should see no problems reaching that, even on air, if logic serves me right here. Plus, i'd have the added reliability of the slightly higher binned 6500. At least i assume there is a difference between it and the 6400 in that regard. I read further and noticed some folks saying the voltage requirements are too high on Skylake CPUs when OCing? I want long-term reliability, and that isn't something i'd wanna mess with in this case. But again... i can't help but use a reference point. In this case, Nehalem. And fast forward to today; Skylake, and look at those much older CPUs and remember their high threshold for overclocking on air cooling. We're talking CPUs with a power draw of 65 watts, here. Makes me a little torn.

I wouldn't worry too much about the expected life of a motherboard. I've seen 400$ boards go nuts within months, as much as cheap ones so IMO just get something you feel comfortable with, check some reviews and build it. Don't pay more than 150$, unless you need SLI and extreme overclocking capabilities.