Diagnosing HP 8740w Elitebook

After resetting the BIOS settings back to factory, my 8740w does not post. It will constantly power on then power off, restart, repeat.

The only was I can get it to post is if I remove the CMOS battery and put it back in again. Attempting to do a Memory Check - just sits at 0% (Regardless of ram config)

Windows + B or V with the power key does nothing. Holding all 4 arrow keys does nothing.

I’ve done the 'ol remove power and CMOS reset. 15 secs, 30 secs, 1 min etc

*> It has a max RAM limit of 8gb. Doesn’t seem to matter if I have 2, 4, 8gb of ram - it doesn’t post. *
*> *
> 1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 SSD + 1 HDD, or even no hard drive - doesn’t post.

What’s the history here? Why did you originally reset the bios to defaults? Troubleshooting something else?

Does it make any beeps? I forget if the HP bios has a hex number in the bottom corner (basically like a motherboard POST code) or not. If so, what number does it display there?

When you say it will POST if you pop the battery, does it boot all the way, or no OS to test with? Does it pass the memory test if you’ve done that, or it gets further but still hangs on the memory test?

I’m just wondering if there is perhaps an issue with your configuration NVRAM or something that causes the BIOS configuration to be corrupted when it is read on boot.

If you pop the cmos battery (and leave it out) can you get it to boot?

I was getting a Kernel Security Check Error when booting into Windows 10 after install new ram and a second hard drive.

I didn’t realise the system was set on Legacy boot from the previous owner, I figured to be safe, reset the system defaults (goes back to UEFI etc). I was going to reinstall Windows and dual boot it OpenSuse or Arch.

Does it make any beeps? I forget if the HP bios has a hex number in the bottom corner (basically like a motherboard POST code) or not. If so, what number does it display there?

Doesn’t power on long enough to display anything. No beeps.

When you say it will POST if you pop the battery, does it boot all the way, or no OS to test with? Does it pass the memory test if you’ve done that, or it gets further but still hangs on the memory test?

It wont boot to the OS, as soon as you leave the BIOS utility it just restarts the power on, power off nonsense. System freezes up as soon as you run the memory test at 0%, regardless of Ram config.

Just a quick one…

Are you SURE the RAM is seated properly?

I can’t remember that specific model but some of the machines that use laptop SO-DIMM will allow you to clip it down without it being fully inserted (i.e., it isn’t slid in far enough into the slot before pressing down into the clip).

Good call out - Ill check now

1 Like

Definitely seated properly - still no go.

Took the Wifi card out - still nothing :frowning:

What happens if you put your old RAM back in? Or has that been tested since it stopped post?

Has been tested. Maybe the GPU or CPU/Motherboard? I’d imagine if it was the motherboard or CPU, I’d wouldn’t be able to POST even after taking the CMOS battey out.

It could well be the GPU.

From memory it is the same era as the 2011 macbook pro with the same AMD radeon GPU family in it. All of these will die eventually due to manfuacturing fault. But it would be an unfortunate co-incidence and whilst it’s possible i’d tend to not jump to that conclusion just yet.

These are prone to failure, but normally (at least when my 2011 macbook pro died) it started with graphical artefacts before totally losing display out.

You do have it on AC power and aren’t just trying it with the battery yes?

Correct.

It’s got a Nvidia 2800m Quadro. Bit of a prick to get out too - complete disassembly.

Ah yeah forgot nvidia was an option (we ran the 8540Ps here at work with AMD option). Nvidia had a bad run of GPUs back around that time too but i think it was 2010 ish… or maybe earlier.

Either way, would be an awful coincidence to start acting up after you upgrade it.

I’d be looking for anything lose either with regards to memory slots, ribbon cables, etc.

Nothing appears to be loose from what I can see. I’ve reseated everything that I can see LOL

I might cut my losses and move all the upgrades into my Dv6 (same era as the 8740w. It’s crusty looking but it works lol

To add insult to injury, I can’t even harvest the dual-band Wifi from the elitebook for the DV6 because of a Whitelist :frowning: