DHCP not distributing addresses on network :/

i have just installed windows server 2012 R2 to one of my computers and installed Active directory domain services, DNS, DHCP and remote acces & routing.

the computer has 2 network interfaces, 1 wireless and 1 wired, both have static IPv4 addresses and IPv6 has been disabled.

the wireless interface is connected to my 4g modem, and that is the way out of my network

the wired interface is connected to my network switch, and that is connected to my laptop, main desktop and windows 10 test rig(dual booting with windows 8.1)

all 3 computers have static IP addresses and are part of the domain i have created, i want to get the DHCP to work as well, but when i go to change ip from static to automatic, it wont work, and when i try "ipconfig /renew", it works for a while and says "no response from DHCP server"

DHCP server gives no errors in the server manager log, and the domain works perfectly, i can log in with any domain user on any computer and my logon scripts and home folders work.

only thing broken is that darn DHCP, any ideas how i can fix it?

PS: i am doing this whole thing just to educate myself with windows server, and i want to get it to work

EDIT: i have added a scope to the DHCP, and made it active

Overlapping IPs? If your 4G modem gives 192.168.1.1/24 to your sever and the sever hands out 192.168.1.1/24 to your LAN then there won't be a connection.

1 Like

Are you sure the User or Administrator account you used to authorize the DHCP server in Active Directory had the right permissions?

This Technet page might help, it's for WS 2008 though, I couldn't find the one for 2012. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd183609

the 4G modem shares IPs from 192.168.8.X network, and my setup routes its to 10.10.10.X network, cant be that

i authorized the DHCP server with the Active Directory administrator account

This is a pretty basic thing but have you insured that the dhcp server is looking to the right interface to share out?

yes, and i got it working after completely re-installing windows server.

i did everything as before, but this time it just worked

sometimes i just don't understand what i did to fix it :/

I'm confused about something... Here's what was said:

the computer has 2 network interfaces, 1 wireless and 1 wired, both have static IPv4 addresses and IPv6 has been disabled.

I'm confused as to why there are any static IP addresses at all. Because if you have a public IP address from your internet service provider (ISP) then that's where any DHCP server is located.

If you want to connect your LAN (and every computer on it) to the Internet then you would need to install something like NAT -- Network Address Translation -- to "translate" your one public IP address that your ISP gives you over to your "internal" (DHCP assigned) IP's.

Sorry if that's confusing. However, I do think you need to look into NAT and why it's necessary. Because about the only other way I can imagine would be to subnet your LAN and allow only one device in only one of those "subs" to use your one and only (public) IP address in order to get out to the Internet.

Hope it helps.

For more, check out NAT @: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

My ISP provides me with a box that does have dhcp, but its disabled since it does not have the features i need, like WDS support(windows deployment services(used to install operating systems via network))

my box is the only dhcp in the network and i just use it as a router with some extra features that require windows-dhcp server to function

Wendell says it best in his latest TekLinux video. When the Magick breakin in Windows, you have no clue.

with linux, i have even less clue why it wont work, and i cant even boot up to go discover the issue, but that's just me

You most likely were using Ubuntu Server im guessing? You should look at Fedora's Cockpit or CentOS or OpenSuse.

Fedora Cockpit

1 Like

it was debian, and caused me a bunch of trouble

Welcome to Debian. Stable but confusing. Fedora Server 21 with Cockpit is a great server distro. Cockpit is a web-based server management tool for Fedora and CentOS.

DHCP and NAT are critical to understand here. Bur what it sounds like is that you have a DHCP server of your own but may have ignored your NAT (Network Address Translation) settings somewhere.

i have gotten past this issue a while ago, here is a post about my new issues -> https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/my-lan-has-some-weird-issues/75093/4