DHCP for proxmox host/server

Hi
I was wondering if there is a way to enable DHCP on the Proxmox host?`
I am going to host some servers on location where I need to get IP through the DHCP…
I found a single thread on the proxmox forum, but I am not honestly sure if I can do it. When I tried this, my LXC lost their network access. My current network has IP reservations for the nics.
The article I was talking about

It’s documented here Network Configuration - Proxmox VE

… so at least, in a typical case it should just work, but there’s many ways to configure networks, and there’s no guarantee the network admins in that place aren’t doing something “fishy” with security settings.

I’ve found Tailscale to be a reasonable “backdoor” solution that allows me to access stuff behind strange networks - and is very useful as a debugging tool: Tailscale on Proxmox host · Tailscale … and they even have statically compiled binaries if you need a “once off” Tailscale Download · Tailscale for whatever reason… or for when you want to rely on the minimum of the rest of the system.

1 Like

Yeah, that page does even include the word DHCP…

In the typical case, this would be fine with the static IP. But in my use case I cannot manage the router. The LXC will be used within the network, so tailscale is not necessery in my use case.

The issue for me is with the host interfaces needing to be configured via DHCP to work properly within this network and the services provided by the server ( a couple of linuxgsm game-servers.) will only be used within the LAN network. The DHCP is only for lan access in this case.

Thank you for your time @risk

maybe here:

https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/ifupdown2/interfaces.5.en.html

proxmox uses ifupdown2

1 Like

Bless you for asking this. I just got a new router from my ISP a week ago and I cannot manage any settings—not even to turn off the Wi-Fi.

Gotta make do with what I have in the meantime, and then maybe get a second business class ISP with a static IP address to use with my own router.

1 Like

Yeah, thank you for confirming the syntax for me.
A big thank you for you!