DevOps Workstation 3900xt/3950x

I think you’ll be very happy with that.

Glad you came to a solution.

1 Like

All that may well indeed be the case however for me, I went for a CLC because it means I can mount the radiator out of the way, away from memory slots, ports on the motherboard, my GPU, etc.

I also don’t have a large heavy chunk of metal hanging off my motherboard’s CPU area.

Whether or not those things are important to you may vary from myself, but personally I’ll gladly take pump failure potential over a long term and even slightly inferior cooling performance over the big chunk of metal in my case getting in the way.

Been happy with my 280mm clc so far though (H115i)

Caught the Aorus Master listed on Amazon for 45 minutes on Friday before it sold out.

Everything else is here

2 Likes

Alright, well everything is in, setup and tested. My NAS has been replaced with a VM, and my Dev VM builds about a minute faster, BUT addin the 660p and migrating the vdi’s to it dropped another 3 minutes off my builds.

Also, without the NAS and all the extra fans, my office is noticibly quieter, and actually cooler (thank god, Texas summer isn’t taking a break for a virus) so wins all around.

The only thing that’s bugging me is I can’t get my machine to post with xmp enabled. The tightest I can get the timings at 3200 is 22-22-22 when the dims are rated at 16-18-18. At this point it’s not much better on latency than the 2133 JEDEC timings. If I’m honest with myself, RAM timings shouldn’t matter, but it’s that feeling of paying for something and not getting your monies worth.

Anyone have any suggestions that don’t require me to run with less than 64GB of RAM? I tried xmp and it failed to post, tried playing with the “levels” and it failed to post. I tried the Ryzen timings calculator and thaiphoon, no post. The only thing that has worked is setting the fclk to 1600 and the ram to 3200 with 1.35v…which is what yielded me the 22-22-22 timings.

P.S. nice bonus feature is my LSI RAID card can be accessed via UEFI. That was new, and I wasnt expecting it.

Are you on the latest bios?

It is also heavily case dependent. My 3900x in my air 540 has direct airflow to the cpu cooler at a shorter distance compared to my graphite 580t. The 3900x when it was in the 580t it hit 75c on average. When I swapped it to the 540 it lowered the average temps. The 580t intake fans are directed more towards the gpu vs cpu. The air 540 is directed at both gpu and cpu (no optical bays taking up a fan spot in the air). I also use a noctua nh d15 for both my 3950x and 3900x. When ffmpeging it spikes at 80c (during the summer heat) but averages 70c. During the winter it was hitting 65-70 with an occasional spike to 75c.

Like you said the main point of failure with an air cooler is a fan failing (which can be replaced at a much cheaper price than a aio.

Yup. I tried F11 (shipped BIOS) and F12g. Nada.

May have to try and push voltage to 1.45v on Dram and mess with SOC voltage and such. When you tried the Ryzen Dram calculator did you set the voltages it suggested?

This is my “safe” report for those sticks. Nearly everything in this image I was able to find. I wasnt able to find one of the bottom 3 voltages, and then I think it was tRRDS couldnt be set below 4 (I know it was one that was supposed to be a 3, but I dont remember which).

Setting everything to recommended values sat for about 5 minutes before the BIOS reverted. Setting everything to max values locked up and forced me to manually reset after about 20 minutes of waiting.

Can you post typhoon report? Samsung B-Die can easily run 1.45v all day long.

File extension changed to .txt, just change it back to HTML.

G.Skill F4-3200C16-16GTZN.txt (12.9 KB) G.Skill F4-3200C16-16GTZN-2.txt (12.9 KB) G.Skill F4-3200C16-16GTZN-3.txt (12.9 KB) G.Skill F4-3200C16-16GTZN-4.txt (12.9 KB)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.