Devember call for help

Hey y’all!

I’m excited to get kicked off with a Devemeber project! I thought about it last year, but couldn’t come up with anything and it just… died on the vine. Decided that I shouldn’t let this year be the same and hoped that the L1 hive mind might help a novitiate come up with some ideas. D-:<

Experience is primarily with JS/TS/Python and their associated web frameworks. But completely willing to step away from that comfort zone for the learns.

If the saying is true that ideas are cheap, then send a couple my way! lol.

Thanks in advance,

NimbleP

My first idea went to an ideas generator bot lol🤣

Here’s a interesting tutorial thingy of speech emotion detection written in python but could be applied in a different way maybe? maybe like well…this might not be very nice but detect wether actors in movies are actually putting emotions into their lines or just breezing thru? So then it could become a bad acting detector.

Please feel free to completely nore this! :blush:

1 Like

Here’s a project idea that I’ve had knocking around in my head for a while:

Cross-browser, cross-device, self-hosted bookmark sync, with a “history” function.

The “user setup”:

1. User downloads your “BookmarkSync” docker container (more on this later), and launches it on their TrueNAS server
  2. User installs your “BookmarkSync” browser extension (more on this later)

When the user makes a bookmark:

1. User makes bookmark in their browser
  2. The “BookmarkSync” browser plugin will talk to the “BrowserSync” docker container, and report the change
  3. “BrowserSync” docker container receives the change information, puts it into a “history” log, and updates its state of your bookmarks

When the user opens a browser on another device, but with the plugin installed:

1. User opens browser
  2. Plugin immediately talks to the “BookmarkSync” docker container
  3. Receives latest state of your bookmarks
  4. Figures out which bookmarks it needs to add/delete in your local browser

Then let’s say the user wishes they didn’t delete a particular bookmark:

1. User opens browser
  2. User navigates to the “BookmarkSync” docker container website, e.g. bookmarks-sync.my-home-network.com (Assuming the user setup the docker container to have this domain name)
  3. User is presented with a web gui that shows them the history of their bookmark changes
  4. User finds the history entry where they deleted a given bookmark, right clicks on it, selects “undo”.
  5. Next time the user opens any of their browsers with the plugin installed, it will fetch the latest bookmark state, see the now un-deleted bookmark, and add it to the local browser bookmarks again

The target audience is basically people on L1T - that is, people with home servers who are comfortable with running (and configuring) docker containers for additional features.

You might be interested in Nim-lang, elegant style but compiled. Lots of interoperability, such as JS target or Python bridge via Nimpy. Either of those might allow for something interesting. If you’re interested in retro/pixel style fantasy game consoles there’s also WASM-4 (which works with many languages).

That said, I also have no idea what to do and I have less motivation than last year (which I didn’t do).

Last year

I thought about doing a very basic game in Godot, but that’d be more of an art thing (polygonal art) probably so I wasn’t sure about it (at the time I had been inspired by an old flash game that I don’t even remember the name of).

Well if you are looking for ideas, here’s something I’m looking around for right now.

A malware program for both windows and linux that will intrusively remind you to get off the damn computer. It should do everything a program shouldn’t do.
-Displays formatted static and dymanic text (like the current time) and also images if desired.
-Can create multiple schedules, containing a time range for initial position/size/opacity, to slowly change to a final position/size/opacity.
-Option for a pulse effect, changing opacity allowing one to have to finish up in between full opacity.
-Default Option for “Always on top”. The whole point is to be intrusive and in the users way, and not instantly get hidden by a browser or minimized.
-No taskbar icon.
-If app is closed, should restart shortly from a service.
-Option to allow manually moving the overlay with a mouse, but then snap back to where it should be after some seconds.
-Can be disabled for a short time with one password. Can be disabled for the day with another. Extra credit: Option to replace passwords with an annoying puzzle.
-Option to play sounds, like a seconds ticker.

Suggested names: Bed Time, Bedtimer, Ruthless Respite/Repose, After Hours, Gloom, Per Diem Pest, Chrono Cunt

I read all that and think, “man, isn’t that what the ‘Update to Windows 11 NAO!1!1!11One!Eleven’ screen does?”

(Ok, not that intrusive, just feels like it :wink: )

2 Likes

My secondary idea was to do a code review of the Linux Kernel for bugs. Not sure how far you want to step away from your comfort zone but learning C or (vomits a little) Rust is a cool start.

A silly programming exercise:

• program a simulation of a simple creature like a fly or lizard with their sensors, motor control outputs, and a control loop

this just might be what my project needs, I need a way of detecting if a show was suddenly cancelled by netflix and a negative sentiment to its final episode reviews might be a way to do that :stuck_out_tongue: