Devember 2021 - 3D Archery counter for the PinePhone

Hi there.
This is my first time participating and there are no rules or anything up yet, so please let me know whether this idea is appropriate.

I have been doing some 3D Archery with friends recently (apparently I can’t include links, you have to find a place to read up on it yourself).

There you go through a parcours with 30 or so targets at which you shoot with a bow. Depending on where you hit the target and with which arrow you get awarded a number of points.

What I consider making is an application that makes it quick and easy to count these points on my PinePhone.

Requirements:

1. Works great on the PinePhone/SXMO/SWMO and ideally on other Linux devices.
  2. Quick to enter score for multiple participants. I want to count my friend’s score too.
  3. Easy to change parcours definition. We shoot at different ones and they change over time.
  4. Simple statistics at the end, overall score, number of misses, …
  5. Store in a simple text format to make further processing easy (and KISS).
  6. Simple textual config file for things like score definition. Things like that just shouldn’t be hardcoded.

Language: I don’t know yet. I love Lua and would like to freshen up my C or maybe C++. Depends on how I do the GUI as well.

GUI: Although the natural thing for my PinePhone with SXMO would be dmenu/bemenu I don’t think this would be a good fit for my requirements. I will have to look into one of the commonly used toolkits like Kirigami. Alternatively I could do it in the game engine Love2D which I’m familiar with.

Let me know what you think, please.

8 Likes

Check this out. It isn’t FOSS as far as I am aware but it might give you direction for features and such.

Thanks. I know there are Android apps to do this. I will have a look.

Honestly, I’m more interested in 3d archery.

You might have just introduced me to a new hobby.

Still, I’m very eager to see some pinephone development happening!

I have only been a couple of times but it’s a fun hobby and not overly expensive. Around my area there are multiple trails, so there is some variety and some places offer beginner courses as well.
I can only recommend it.

1 Like

It’s the first of December here, so time to get started, right?
Well, not much is going to happen today, it’s late on a work day.
I have set up an empty repository here:

Oh, and I came up with a silly mythological name.

The next step is to decide on some tech to use and get started. These are my options:

1. Qt5 or more specifically either Kirigami or Mauikit (which is based on the former). C++ would be the native language for that it seems, which I’m not a fan of, but it may be possible to use it via lqt, so Lua, instead.

2. GTK3 + libhandy or GTK4 + libadwaita of which the native language is C, which I would prefer over C++. It may be possible to bind to it using lgi (GTK3 only?). Someone kindly provided me with some sample projects to look at:
    GitHub - Miqueas/Lua-GTK3-Examples: Some GTK examples in Lua
    sodomon2 (Diego Diaz) · GitHub
    The downside of this option is that I am not exactly a fan of the GNOME project.

3. Flutter. By Google using Dart. Not currently packaged on postmarketOS and thus would need to be distributed as Flatpak (Neither Snap nor AppImage work due to musl). Not really an option for basically all the reasons, but I figured I’ll list it for completeness’ sake.

As you can see, this is not an easy decision and I guess I will just have to try one of them and see how it goes. If you know of other options, especially more lightweight options that do not rely on GNOME/KDE, then please let me know.

Zero progress today, but at least I decided to try at first to implement it using option 1. The resulting applications seem to look good and it has documentation.
Also the stories I heard about startup times using option 2 gave me the chills. Not sure option 1 is better in that regard but it can hardly be worse.

No real progress.

I have a design for the main data entry screen in my head but did not sketch it out. I figured there might be a design tool which would allow to use the actual widgets (QtDesigner?), but I didn’t have a look yet.

I had a closer look at the Maukit pages and while it looks pretty I did not find any actual documentation. The Kirigami page looks way better in that regard, including a “getting started” tutorial. I barely got started with that though, so maybe tomorrow I’ll get around to follow that tutorial.

Still no progress, I didn’t feel like working on this. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but it may be that I do it around or after Christmas.

I’m sorry, I did not work on it. Maybe I’ll make it sometimes during the coming months anyway.