[Devember 2020] File Rename Utility using Python and GTK + Glade

My Devember project is a file rename utility for Linux using Python and GTK + Glade.

I started the 1 Year Linux Challenge on Jan 1st 2020 with Linux Mint. I had to learn Python to re-write some of the little applications I wrote for myself over the years on Windows. Early on, I learned Tkinter for a basic GUI, but it had its limitations. I wanted to learn how to make a better GUI for a Pyhton application, so I started learning GTK. My choice of a file rename utility was because I couldn’t find what I thought was a good one for Linux. I found that I could run a Windows one in Wine, but I didn’t really like that either. I’m pleased with what I came up with and have been eating my own dog food, as it were, for the last several weeks while I put the spit and polish on it.

Link: https://github.com/BSFEMA/linux_file_rename_utility

I was able to to add all the feature that I wanted into it, so it is ‘complete’ for now. I do plan on adding more to it a bit later, but this has consumed most of my free time, so I’m taking a break.

I’d like to thank Level1Techs and the Devember challenge for giving me the impetus to create this application. It was fun, challenging, entertaining, and I have something super useful (to me at least) at the end of it.

Edit: January 7, 2021 – I improved the data grid performance. I’m still looking to improve this a bit more.

Edit 2: June 4, 2021 - I’m up to v1.5 now and have made more performance improvements and various fixes. I think I’m done for now with modifications unless something comes up. Hopefully other people will find this to be useful.

3 Likes