Deterring Trespassers

Hi Fam,

I live in a major metro area, made it to the suburbs. The kind of place a tenth of an acre feels like a major state park once you’ve left the city.

Annoyance factor here, people use my driveway to turn around all the time, doesn’t matter what time of day, in broad daylight or at night. Now, I have a toddler running around in the yard adjacent to the driveway and some strangers are pulling up to the back of my car (short driveway) to turn around? This is a problem for me.

For the day care across the street from me, people double park or block my driveway idling all the time.

By the time I would call or complain to the police, naturally they’d be long gone.

But looking for advice on a few things.

  1. What has worked for you to deter trespassers.

  2. Is there a solar powered camera that I can pair with an OS, idk what that would be. Open source preferred so I am not to tied into like…ring. Is there a deployment whereas either via motion sensor would trigger a recording or preferably a less resource intensive to just take a picture? I would be able to capture licence plates or at least report how many times in a week it occurs to file a complaint.

I have no existing camera system on the property. When time permits, I plan on having a proper setup. But I don’t know what would look like yet but right now I am look for temporary solution.

I won’t start about the people doing way over the speed limit.

Thanks

WWED

P.S. My bad is this is a bad category to be in. Will change if y’all have a better suggestion.

Frigate is a good self-hosted security system with motion detection.

3 Likes

Honestly, I’d just park further out or put a can/bin where they’re pulling in. Or one of those little green turtle guys with the flags (anyone?)

Camera setup → video compilation → going to city etc. seems like it’ll take forever, and if it’s just bad or confusing street design that’d be a huge ask to get them to change something. Sorry to be a downer, but a bin would probably do it. You can also do bin until you can get cameras going, do the shoot, and bin it until the city responds.

2 Likes

Loading the kid up to the car is a pain, or taking up groceries. It’s on a hill.

The city gave my neighbors shit over leaving their trash cans out over night.

Yep, Frigate is is in that case :slight_smile:

Have a word with the city and let them put up no-parking signs on your driveway. Then let a tow company know your street is open hunting ground for them :wink:

Next, install bollards on your driveway, the sturdy retractable type. Not cheap, but the next owner will pay your investment back and then some :wink:

Here’s some video’s on that subject, but they may not represent your locale;

HTH!

That’s awesome. I almost threw a stone at one of these assholes when they pulled in right in front of me.

Any Camera recommendations? Solar powered is probably what I am limited too.

Camera detects a car is not mine. Some sort of machine slings an egg at the car. I have to figure that out.

I’d go low tech, use a chain between two posts at the end of the drive. Need just enough chance they’d scratch their car as a deterrent.

Won’t stop them parking on the road, but really, as frequent as they do, how often do they abandon their vehicle when you need to access the road?

2 Likes

Can I add that I want to be as spiteful as possible

Could start cheap and easy, a traffic cone or two will deter most

1 Like

If plain water doesn’t get the point across, add some dye, bubbles, gummy residue (screws up windscreen wipers), sugar (so their car is later swarmed by ants), and so-on.

You can spray whatever you like on your own property. And if they get out of their car and interfere with your “irrigation system” then your camera will give you video evidence of their car, its licence plate, their face, and them engaging in property damage.

5 Likes

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/7m-Portable-Road-Block-with-Remote_1600483195909.html

People probably wouldn’t see it and then get stuck, blocking the driveway for a longer amount of time.

I would go with the proven low tech method of a chain between 2 poles. Very common in high density areas in Europe to prevent people from parking on driveways/in front of gates.

3 Likes

Neighbor of mine parks one of their cars horizontal at the end of their driveway when the kids are out and about. Doubt anyone uses their driveway for anything but just something i noticed.

You could just throw some cones up at the end of it tho, they are free on the side of the roadway /s.

1 Like

Spraypaint the outline of a body at the end of your driveway and string up some yellow crimescene tape.

3 Likes

Is there a way to make the chains inconspicuous until someone rolls over it and it fucks 'em up.

Why would you want that?

2 Likes

Camouflage. You could paint them to blend in with the background color palette?