Desk/table setup

am currently using a wood desk as my setup, as seen below

The current table is about 4-5 feet long and 30 inches deep.
I was thinking of getting this table to use as my new desk because I will be moving this year and having the table take less space will make moving it easier.
I figure that the cheapo table would make a pretty good upgrade over my current desk

Is anyone else using a similar setup or has experiences with using such a table as a desk? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for what I should use as a desk? I am a fairly tall person( >6ft)

A plastic table is pretty ghetto and unstable. There's plenty of DIY's on how to make a simple desk for cheap. I'd suggest looking around and find something you like.

A simple sawhorse desk might work for you because it's easy to make and easy to disassemble.

(Something like this)

1 Like

buy a solid core flat door, and either filing cabinets or sawhorses. Route your cables through the knob holes.

2 Likes

I used a plastic table for a long while until I got a proper desk and I do have to say, it would be very, very hard to go back to a ghetto plastic table setup. Having a nice work surface is hard to live without.

For my space requirements a 6 seater dinner table worked well, it ended up being cheeper than some of the building alternatives.

I used to use one of those run-of-the-mill PC desks (little platform for the PC on the side, shelf for a printer and pull-out tray for keyboard). But eventually it was too small for dual monitors, so I swapped it out for the run-of-the-mill PC desk in the living room which is essentially the same, but wider.

Still not quite big enough and contemplating what my (cheap) options are for a new desk.

Before

After

build your own desk.
whats your budget? what tools do you have? and how much space do you have to work with?

2 Likes

Budget-on the cheap end, but can be flexible

Tools-nothing but screwdrivers, hammer, hand saw

Place I am moving to is a fifteen minute drive,
table just needs to fit in the back of a sedan

I can assemble it outside of the house
If I were to DIY a desk, I probably would take the legs of a sawhorse like @Calidrius said and get a flat door like @tkoham said

@Calidrius
Would I just get these legs, but how would I mount it?
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/10118971/

assuming the legs are any good, you could take 4 blocks of wood and cu a notch in the middle and screw the block into the legs and the table.
something like

also for cheap table tops you could also try finding a slice of the middle of a large tree. one solid piece and you can cut/sand it flat and cut it to size. it'll be heavy but it'll outlast you by a few hundred years.
option C? would be to get something like a 6inx1inx20 foot piece of pressed wood from something like home depot and cut X inch long pieces and arrange them and cut two pieces to go across at both ends or a few inches sort of the end. then just sand and stain the wood and attack the feet.
if you want something very pretty and unique but expensive you can look for the piece of tree like in option b but cut it down the middle and flip the curved sides together then add led strips to the bottom of the middle with rhinestones on top then fill up the middle with colored epoxy. sand and stain the wood and add cross bars for support and connect the legs and you have a rgb river table.

Here's another stupid easy DIY for a desk. (You can probably find free file cabinets in craigslist.)

door is cheaper and comes prefinished, with cable management holes

2 Likes

looked at the guide.
Is the best way to fasten the desk to a leg to build a wood frame around the bottom of the desk? Or is there a bracket I can attach?

Google "Aluminum L."

Also, use a door.

I use something very similar to this, although I went with the big brother to it. So slightly larger. While it is a "ghetto" solution, it works fine.

Think I will consider doing the door if the plastic table doesn't work out