Den-Fi's Tech-ish Blog

Windows shows Bulldozer CPUs as hyperthreaded cores, with a 6 core FX 6300 showing up as 3 core 6 threads, although the Bulldozer cores were named “modules” (because of their shared resources). I thought Linux shows the cores alright. Not sure if the truenas used is core or scale. But it is not uncommon for Bulldozer through Excavator CPUs to show up as half the number of cores and SMT to many OS.

1 Like

I went with Scale since I’m already knee deep in Docker and may use it here for things I just want to test and don’t care about.

I setup L2ARC out of pure curiosity to see if there would be any regression. Doesn’t seem to have done a single thing lol. Guess I’ll just take them out altogether lol. I wonder what it would take for them to implement some kind of tiering system.

Edit: Actually, I’ll use it as the app pool since I do plan to tinker around with that a bit.

App pool seems like a great use for this.

Well, it’s been a few days and it feels like I’ve been using TrueNAS for years, lol. I get why everyone recommends it for DIY builds. There’s a lot of setup (or a little depending on your needs), but once it’s done, it’s done. One of the things that immediately sticks out to me is how little it annoys me compared to QNAP.

This is notification panel for one of my QNAPs. There are TWO notifications areas… TWO. The bell icon has some mundane notifications that SHOULD NOT be seeking my attention as much as they do. It should be in something like the Windows event viewer where you can see it if you’re looking for that info.

The second notifications area is even worse…

There are 23 notifications. Most of them are about the malware scanner starting… then another notification when it completes and finds nothing. Again, something I don’t need to be “altered” about.

These are notifications I have dismissed before, but they come back later for… reasons. To dismiss them, you hit the X, but then it wants to make double sure you actually want to dismiss the useless notification… for every… single… one.

When you go to actually update an app, it asks you if you’re sure… then it fires off 3 more notifications to let you know it’s downloading the update, that it’s updating, then when it’s done. All within the span of the minute it takes to do all of this.

It is notification hell.

When everything is an alert, nothing is an alert. The way it’s set up, I am never going to take any of the warning seriously… this sucks because I may accidentally ignore something important.

Luckily, I don’t need to login that often, but I have NEVER seen a more needy operating system. I love QNAP hardware, and will probably continue to buy them, but geez…

Back to TrueNAS.

For off-site, I just have Veeam scale out directly to a Backblaze bucket, but I save all of my config file backups to one spot and have TrueNAS write that to its own bucket B2.

QNAP also has native-ish B2 support via its HybridBackup app, but the W goes to TrueNAS for being less complicated.

For shares, TrueNAS easily gets the win. I constantly had trouble with NFS on QNAP. It was slightly tricky on TrueNAS due to my lack of experience, but once I got it, I got it. Veeam seems to perform MUCH better over NFS.

I wasn’t going to run apps off of TrueNAS, but after I thought about it, I offloaded my NextCloud and FileRun containers to TrueNAS Scale’s Docker implementation. I don’t upload anything important to them, it’s usually just a means to share stuff. This way it’s less of a burden on my Docker server backup.

1 Like

Mailed a friend a PiKVM (configured with TailScale) to do some remote diagnostics. He was having trouble with the PC portion of his CNC router. Was quickly able to deduce that the CMOS battery died and even though the software clock was right, the hardware clock being wrong causing problems.

1 Like