Delusional man attempts Hackintosh VMs in 2024

Hey there, trying to get a handle on the viability of vGPUs with S7150 or Instinct MI25, very ancient SR-IOV capable AMD Polaris/Vega cards as they’re probably the only 2 sub $200 cards floating around online that seem theoretically capable.

As you probably guessed, yes I’m trying to run multiple concurrent VMs, and unfortunately, my motherboard is PCIe slot-scarce so only 1 GPU (no support for bifurcation) is an option. I do have a 6800XT as a backup if I’m forced to go single-user, but ideally id like to try to make it work (without sourcing a V520/V620 for $$$)

Wasnt quite sure where to post this given its half MacOS question half GPU question

1 Like

You might already be aware of this: one of the issues with Hackintosh is that you’re limited to the GPUs Apple white labels/modifies (and IDK, even makes these days). When a new Mac OS comes out, really old GPUs get removed and really new stuff gets added. This is a headache on bare metal and I’m sure it gets worse with virtualization.

Some sort of lightly modified FirePro was used by the trashcan Mac Pro, so your S7150 might work with some version of Mac OS. Don’t know about the rest.

I have done some dabbling with OSX on proxmox, but all of my knowledge comes from this guy, so see here:
https://www.nicksherlock.com/

I was aware of the fact Apple has a white list of GPUs that will work with its OS…I was not aware they were deprecating older GPUs sigh, well guess I should try to find a Sonoma specific compatibility list. Thanks for a heads up

Yessir I have his stuff bookmarked for when I actually start the Proxmox deployment process. Its really this GPU selection that’s my last step in the hardware process I’ve got everything else worked out.

When they drop support for a specific model, all hardware associated with that model (that isn’t used by anything still supported) gets deprecated. You don’t really need a compatibility list, just make sure that whatever OS you’re trying to run is/was supported on a model that has the hardware you’re trying to use.

Currently I have found no publicly documented methods to achieve this unfortunately. Everything you can apply is theory since this is niche, but from experience trying SR-IOV is going to be more productive than vGPU, just from a OS support stance. I did see a VPS host advertising nvidia vgpu enabled macos VPSes, but it leveraged ESXi apparently. But nothing else so far.

The two best options are play around with the s7150, I would start working off of getting it (a VF, not the native card) spoofed and working in linux as a R9 285/380 (0x69381002 or 0x69391002) or other tonga products. Then once you get that done, move on to spoofing in macos probably with SSDTs, using the same ids.

Further reading on past attempts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/x50jqk/amd_s7150_w7100_on_hackintosh_opencore_settings/

See this for more tonga spoofing ideas (under AMD/GCNv1-3). They had the s7100x working natively, which would be promising architectural support wise

The other one is to spend a long time trying to pickup where the previous attempts at getting intel gvt-g working kext wise

https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/innriq/successful_macos_catalina_with_intel_gvtg/

EDIT:

Regarding the Mi25, you will need to go find the driver iso/vib for mxgpu. I know it might exist somewhere not indexed by search engines. It came from the following OEMs (AMD scrubbed a lot of resources related to MxGPU and this card, so dont waste time looking at their sites)

• HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen 10
  • HPE ProLiant DL385 Gen 10
  • ​HPE ProLiant XL270d Gen10 (HPE Apollo 6500)

Also reference from citrix that its supported in virtual desktop release 1909

You will be looking for something newer than amdgpuv-2.0.6 (and 2.0.8), as that doesn’t include support for the mi25.

They are also depreciating WLAN cards and Bluetooth chipsets. Even with a supported PCIe USB card I couldn’t get any Bluetooth dongle to work under Sonoma.

Virtualization makes it easier to run a Hackintosh on unsupported HW because chipset, processor, network card are readily available as virtual devices.

1 Like