Dell Wyse 3040 (theory crafting)

Here’s an idea I’ve been toying with for a while, it’s just theory crafting yet since I haven’t done it.

Dell Wyse 3040 is a itsy bitsy tiny thin client 10x10x3cm (4x4x1.1") that draws 5V/3A. It only have an Atom x5 Z-8350 cpu with 2GB ram so it’s not much. But they’re just like $50 on ebay which is a lot cheaper than a Raspberry 4 if that’s all you need. They come with 8 or 16GB soldered flash which also isn’t much, but again, tiny, cheap, and draws 5W.

I have an idea of either just adding a tiny usb flash memory, or remake the lower part of the case so it can fit a usb to m.2 adapter and plug this to one of the usb-ports/solder it

There’s these super simple usb to m.2 adapters than you can cut down if you need to make them fit.

Here’s a 3040 running Clipper for a 3D printer.

2 Likes

For $50, it’s a nice option that comes out cheaper than Odroid HC4, although you have 2x SATA there.
Unfortunately, the era of cheap and cool sbc ended with the beginning of C19… Prices are abstract or not available.

I keep my HC1 with 2.5 SATA because another one at this price will not be available. :wink:

The only question is whether this equipment is worth taking… because of the low price, power consumption, dimensions. Probably it would be possible to find a tiny one with a slightly better expansion option…

What would you plan to use it for? micro NAS, micro server, desktop?
It has one USB3, as a result, everything can be connected to it 2.5 sata, nvme… Instead of such an adapter, I would rather choose a decent housing for nvme-usb3, Or just a regular sata ssd.

It would be nice if M.2 socket would be able to accept
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32833395776.html

Personally, I would take only the 16G version and if I can use Debian, I’m happy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve bought one of these a while ago.
I wouldn’t recommend it.

They are interesting but lack of internal m.2 storage is a pain.
I didn’t endup using it because I had issue running my gentoo compiled with -march=x86-64-v2. Instruction set is a bit cut down and I didn’t want to lower it because of one machine.

Fujitsu FUTRO s920 is much better. It’s bigger but has upgradable ram, sata ports and PCIe slot for NVMe drive. All for the same or lower price.

1 Like

It could be easly done for sure! That’s how ArgonOne makes the M.2 (SATA) lower part of the case for a Raspberry Pi 4:

If you bought something like this:

You could make a new case that incorporates both the motherboard and this adapter, get a super short USB cable and be good to go.

P.S. you’d need to add a fan to the thing else the SSD is gonna cook. On my ArgonOne M.2 the reported SSD temperature during summer and some good load can get to almost 50°C. Not worryingly high, but still.

2 Likes

Eeeh… stuff 'n things :stuck_out_tongue: Not sure realy. I’ve been looking at the S920 and the HP T620 Plus that both can take an expansion card and disk, but they cost a bit more and are a bit bigger. I like the tinyness with the Wyse 3040.