DELL S4810-ON Uboot recovery ONIE and need NOS binary and help

hello.

I picked up a used DELL / Force10 S4810-ON model last Friday and had a fun time with the serial cable at first.

I plugged it into the network and it configured an IP address and I was able to reach the ONIE prompt.

So I messed around with that for a bit and used some of the binary commands onie-* to check stuff out.

This model needs a third party NOS so I went on the hunt for it…

FTOS OS9 will not install, I have tried all of the flavors that the support site has to offer. Now WHY it says it will install is beyond me.

1. ONL OpenNetworkLinux is the other readily available OS flr these and I have been trying to compile and build the ONLv2 branch for the past two days. The “latest” builds and branch on github are not supposed to work and I HAVE tried all of the latest builds down to 2019. I set up an old latop as a build machine with deb 9 installed. Now this is supposed to use a docker container to make a build environment and I can execute these steps no problem. The deb 7 and 8 builds have powerpc support, so these should be “native” builds. Now I have done a bit of hacking and edited some of the make files to make it a bit more understandable. All of the dependencies are installed and it will start to build fine, but the errors I hae been unable to rectify are:

INFO[image]nlpm:adding package ‘/home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/packages/base/all/onl-mibs/onl-mibs_1.0.0_all.deb’…
INFO[image]nlpm:dstdir=/home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/REPO/wheezy/packages/binary-all
INFO[image]nlpm:Rebuilding onl-upgrade:amd64…
INFO[image]nlpm:Requiring prerequisite package onl-kernel-3.16-lts-x86-64-all:amd64…
INFO[image]nlpm:Rebuilding onl-kernel-3.16-lts-x86-64-all:amd64…
make[4]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
make[5]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
make[6]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+’ to parent make rule.
Applying: overlayfs.patch
diff: a/Documentation/filesystems/Locking: No such file or directory

yes, diffutils is installed

**** diff: b/Documentation/filesystems/Locking: No such file or directory
**** /home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/packages/base/any/kernels/3.16-lts/patches/overlayfs.patch: line 2: —: command not found

/home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/packages/base/any/kernels/3.16-lts/patches/overlayfs.patch: line 3: +++: command not found
/home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/packages/base/any/kernels/3.16-lts/patches/overlayfs.patch: line 4: @@: command not found
/home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/packages/base/any/kernels/3.16-lts/patches/overlayfs.patch: line 5: struct: command not found
/home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/packages/base/any/kernels/3.16-lts/patches/overlayfs.patch: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token )' /home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/packages/base/any/kernels/3.16-lts/patches/overlayfs.patch: line 6: umode_t create_mode, int *opened);’
make[5]: *** [/home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/packages/base/amd64/kernels/kernel-3.16-lts-x86-64-all/builds/wheezy/linux-3.16.76/.PATCHED] Error 2
make[4]: *** [kernel] Error 2
ERROR[image]nlpm:‘Build failed.’
ERROR[image]nlrfs:Failed to build all required packages.
make[3]: *** [RFS] Error 1
ERROR[image]nlpm:‘Build failed.’
make[2]: *** [pkgall] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mharbuck/git/OpenNetworkLinux/builds/amd64’
make: *** [amd64] Error 2
Makefile:56: recipe for target ‘docker’ failed
make: *** [docker] Error 2

NOTE: I WAS able to install the pre-built binary but it will not boot up ( ERROR unsupported features, ext2,3,4 errors I believe ) the newer builds are known NOT to work on this machine…

yeah so I am stumped.

1. I toasted the ONIE rootFS while playing with it. Luckily the NOR flash Uboot was OK. later and had to go about MAKING a recover ONIE image. Took a while to figure out how to do it. TIP: folder permissions are key to the ct-ng building properly. Built with Lubuntu 18.04.6 LTS. I will post the file if anyone needs it because there is NOT one ANYWHERE to be found. As long as the uboot/bios on the switch is still responding then it should be recoverable. Also this model dies NOT support the grub screen for ONIE# as far as I can tell.

At this point if anyone has:

Switch Light OS install binary local
Cumulus NOS binary ( v2.3 or something like that )
working OpenNetworkLinux for DELL S4810-ON ( NOT S4810P )

or ideas I would appreciate it.