Dell P4317Q 42.5" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor - Performance for Movies?

Hi @wendell,

Thoughts on watching movies on this panel? The 8ms response time was my concern?

Reason I ask is locally we have horrendous taxes on TVs; while I’d certainly like an OLED LG Signature panel, I’d have to pay 100% tax on top (nooooo way!!).

Since this is tagged as a ‘Monitor’ though, it lets me circumvent that tax loophole; Would be a nice panel to add to my workstation area, up on the wall - the way you have it at the testbench, and get a second one for the small ‘home theatre’ downstairs.

I’m running a very old LG 40" 1080p panel; even though it isn’t getting much larger, the jump to 4K should be quite something.

The PIP mode would be really handy too.

Look at the sRGB rating. 75% is considered decent. I just ordered a 4k 27 inch with 99% sRGB. Latency as long as its under 30ms is unoticable for most people. It’s not uncommon for TV’s to have 100ms latency or higher. Even the high end models. For watching content, latency doesn’t matter so long as the sound matches the latency. Gaming 30ms is usable, 16 generally standard and 1-8 being pretty good.

Just remember monitors are not TV’s. They don’t have built in decoders for even many free channels. TV’s do as that’s a requirement for then. So unless you buy a TV decoder card for your computer, chances are you won’t be watching TV channels.

Edit

Should be more than enough. Won’t give you true blacks like an oled and probably not as vibrant as an oled TV but it will look very nice

1 Like

Ah that’s great. I have no need for a decoder so that’s fantastic.

I get HD “cable” (well its via Satellite) for likes of CNN/BBC/HBO HD/ Bloomberg etc etc, but I cancelled that and since going 100Mbps Fibre just consume everything off the interwebs.

I recently moved the Home Theatre into my “Lab” downstairs. I will share details on my VERY very old setup, but it still sounds decent.