Dell Monitor Hype Justified?

So I've noticed that Dell Ultrasharps are priced significantly higher than their ASUS counterparts, like so:

Dell:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047&cm_re=Ultrasharp-_-24-260-047-_-Product

ASUS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292&cm_re=asus_24_ips-_-24-236-292-_-Product

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

What's the reasoning behind it, anyone know?
I mean I've heard that Dell monitors supposedly have sharper picture and superior colors, but I wanted other people's personal opinions on this.

In short, what makes Dell monitors superior and what justifies the price gap (if anything)?

Well the UltraSharp line are pro grade and I believe each one goes through a color calibration and certification before it ships.

16:10 panels are always significantly more expensive (like 30%-ish) for the same image quality. A counterpart to that Asus would be Dell U2312HM or more recent U2414H, and I would personally choose one of those as opposed to Asus one based on tftcentral reviews.

They are not pro grade, they are just decent consumer models.

They may be calibrated to a degree, but anyone would be able to easily tell a difference between two 'factory-calibrated' monitors of the same model and the same lot. I can tell this from my own experience of owning two U2312HMs. 

Just for content consumption you can be fine with manual calibration with software, but anything in any way related to work would require a hardware calibrator.

Even compared to those two, the price difference is still about 100 dollars or more in both instances. Have you had an ASUS monitor before? How are you liking your current Dells? Do you think they're worth the extra cash?

Even compared to those two, the price difference is still about 100 dollars or more in both instances

Where did you get that from? PB238Q costs exactly as much as U2312HM cost a couple of month ago (maybe except for $20 rebate). U2414H costs more just because it's a newer model.

How are you liking your current Dells? Do you think they're worth the extra cash?

Depends on how much extra cash. I wouldn't get anything else if U2312HM is $240 or under, but if it's not, it doesn't beat PB238Q in terms of price/performance. U2414H may be worth extra if you are interested in the thinner bezel.

U2312HM are just overall good, I have nothing to complain about. As I said before, I got two at the same time, and they have almost identical serial numbers, but without manual calibration they look noticeably different, especially white point (though judging by tests, two PB238Q's would look five times more different). Also, they have some annoying overdrive that leaves trails on the image that are more noticeable than lag they compensate, so I turned it off in the factory menu. U2414H doesn't have the option to turn it off. 

As for PB238Q, it may have a little bit too much lag for gaming, so you might want to look out for that.

Just check tftcentral reviews. They are very thorough and informative.

Also, why not just get a Korean 1440p panel? Logan says they are good.

I am still using 720P monitors and one 1080i TV. I would feel that the ASUS would be an awesome upgrade for me. (hey I still have a 17" square frame HP HPvs17e)