DELL EMC Disk Shelf Mixing Drive types

HI all, a question I am having a hard time finding an answer to. I recently bought a Dell EMC disk shelf, a Dell DAE 15 VNX 3U I believe(part of what I am confused about is the exact model/model number of the disk shelf). I have hooked it up to my trueness and migrated all my existing SATA drives for my storage pool into it for easier access and maintenance. Looking to expand storage with more disks but unclear whether I can mix Sata(what’s already in there) and SAS(what’s available cheap from the same used parts store that I got the shelf from). Any input or info is greatly appreciated!
Edit: I was able to borrow a couple 146gb SAS drives from a friend. Slotted the firs one in and it spun up, and showed up in Truenas no issues what so ever. So I guess I can mix drive types.

Pretty sure you can but could be some weird dell quirk. Just throw one drive in and find out

Thanks for the reply did exactly this, borrowed a drive from a friend and tried it and it did indeed just work so I guess that answers my question.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.