Delid 4930K

I could have sworn IHS were just painted copper alloy... are they aluminum?

I dunno... i'm not taking off the IHS of my 8350 just to find out, lol

i think phantom can probably answer that.

Follow rabiz's thread here on oc.net > http://www.overclock.net/t/1458006/how-do-i-restrain-the-temps-on-my-delidded-4930k.

my IHS was copper underneath the layer of silver colored coating, yes. But the faster the heat can be taken away the better, still. So a solid copper block with no coating will out preform it. Even when I used really good thermal paste on my IHS/Die connection, it was 10 degrees more than when I used Direct die.

I love how civil the tread there is. 

More shame has fallen.

Well We were correct in our assumptions and his delided 4930k is running hotter without the IHS. I think its shameful that people seem to have forgotten all the crap he has said on other peoples threads.

hi logan -- where do i apply to become a mod

It's most likely due to a lack of contact. I dont even know if he is using thermal paste on it or not.

But just because some of his posts are low quality, Doesn't mean they all are. 

He said he used heat and a vice and hammer to remove the solder, but i personally wonder if there's imperfections left on the die from the solder that trapped air bubbles.

Sounds like OP is really young and immature. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say, well pics or it didnt happen and think things though before you post. Much like his first post in which he had his house raided or what not by the FBI or whatever. Then his review of a CM212 on oc.net late last year in which it was too difficult to install. I mean come on.. http://www.overclock.net/users/323010/reviews

Its not that his posts are low quality but the fact that he passes off thing like powerPC is better than x86 or that there is no reason to own an Intel mid range CPU and shit like that. And people actuly listen to it. How would you feel if say you got a 780 he said to get a fx6300 instead of a 4570 for your 780 and you followed what he said and ended up with a shit machine? Thats what happens with people who follow miss information.

Actuly he would tell you to get a G5 mac, Throw a 780 ion that and install ubuntu. He would recomend that because he believes that is a legitimate system. And there are people who just do not know better and would do that because its cheaper and end up waisting money. That is what i am against and if people cant realise the damage that missinformation can cause then there will be a lot of sad people. And with some people they dont care what anyone else says, Their words are the word of god and everyone should believe every word that comes out of their mouth.

I guess I stand corrected. I still personally wouldn't delid a CPU on the chance that I gain a really expensive paperweight.

Uhm.

Oh yeah, it's extremely risky. Best not to do it until you know you have a backup.

Yes, but that is not related to this thread in the least. He asked a question, in which I personally (if this actually happened) am quite interested in the results.

I know about his other posts and what has happened. But don't bring that into posts where he is doing nothing at all wrong.

Im tempted to buy a cheap system, maybe even just a mobo for my athelon 64 and prove that what PowerPC guy is trying to do is idiotic because the IHS is called an IHS for a reason. Integrated Heat Spreader. With a 3770k its not actuly integrated because it is not soldered on and so the removal will allow for better temps but with any soldered chip it will have a very high chance of failing and are unlikely to make any changes. Solder > Thermal Paste

I would do it with a Q9550 but I dont want to kill my CPU for obvious reasons.

It was a link between the inherint idiosy of this thread for the fact that IHS have a purpose and having a common theme. Like i said before, The topic is interesting but the fact that he would do that to a 4930k blew our minds. The concept is not knew obviously but there is a reason my the IHS is LARGER on the 4930k compared to the i5's and i7's.

solder is better than thermal paste, yes, but

die>solder>IHS>Thermal Paste>heatsink  is worse than

die>thermal paste>heatsink

You remove two layers of heat transfer. 

But please do. In theory, it would work. But I don't even know if it's possible. Especially since he said he heated it to 200C..

You have to remember that if you are doing direct die cooling, the cooler has 1 hot spot in the center and then a whole lot of surface area that is not not being used. The reason why 3770's and the like are cooled better with direct to die is because of the crap thermal paste that insulates more than transfers heat. I would hazard a guess that the IHS while reducing the amount of heat transferred to the cooler, it spreads the heat allowing the cooler to work more efficiently allowing for better cooling overall

I would like to see a 4770k overclocked and compare stock IHS with no IHS and then a soldered on IHS if anyone was willing to do so. I feel that a soldered IHS would perform better than no IHS at all.

Well the IHS isn't thicker, actually. Just like AMD IHS, its just taller, to allow room for the solder. It takes up more space than a thin layer of Thermal compound.