Delid 4930K

This is why I said that I'd like to see IHS-less CPUs, I'd love to see someone make something like a hollow IHS that has ports for a watercooling solution and I'd be really interested in the results.

Cooling currently is designed to work with a IHS CPU. Thats the thing. Their designed to work with a plate that provides a nice spread of heat. Direct chip cooling wont be as good as you would think and with a soldered card, there is no real point unless the chip was directly part of the cooling setup.

I agree that cooling is currently designed to work with the IHS in many ways, but as I said basically turning the entire IHS into a waterblock would be really interesting to see.

I doubt it will have a great impact on cooling performance, but you never know. It currently has to go through the copper IHS, Thermal paste, and another copper/aluminum baseplate before it even reaches the liquid cooling and each step isn't a perfect 100% transfer of heat. It would be interesting to see a chip with a soldered on hollow IHS that cools the entire chip when it's hooked up to a liquid system.

Interesting, I'm not calling it game-breaking or must-have but I'd like to see exactly what the difference would be.

P.S. It'd be nice if the talk about CPUs on this page was on the first instead of those damned memes wouldn't it? :P

The group of us just cracked up by the idea because it is inherently stupid and is a common theme with OP's posts and this convo would not have happened because he disagrees with 99% of what you say. The guys an ass. The topic of this thread was just happenstance. Something was going to happen if it was us or Phantom or even a few of the other mods.

Also Wendel was talking about how a few months ago he got a good 2 or 3 degrees just by polishing the surface of the IHS and cooler to the best of his abilities. So there is still room for improvement.

But you also have to bear in mind that it is also there to protect the die itself. I would also say its kinda needed these days.

Back when the die's used to be larger anyway, they came into more contact with the cooler because they were larger. These days however, say you use a heatpipe design cooler, your only really going to get something equivalent to only one heatpipe being in contact with the die.

Lapping the CPU heat spreader on the other hand may get you some performance gains. Or be reckless and put a pelteir cooler between the cpu and the heatsink :D

Topic cleaned.

For everyone  stay on topic, posting those images bull shit is annoying, and making this forum looks silly.

For "OP" you also need to learn to chill, This was realy a good topic, but somethimes you also post nonsense.. And thats also annoying.

For the sake of everyone, This is an fantastic community, probably one of the greatest tech community in the world, with a lot of knowledge to shared with eachother and over the world. But let this community be proud, and lets keep up the maturity, and focus on whats its all about here. flaming to eachother and posting nonsense comments, just makes our great community looks silly, for the rest in the world. We are the Best and lets us all keep this that way.

I not gonne judge anyone on here.

But let one thing be clear, i not gonne tollerate any trollings, 4chans, and bullshit posts arround here in the tech section.

We are all mature mindend, and we have a great community.

Let we keep it this way!

Enough said back on topic.

Grtz Angel ☺

I just want to put in here you have a bigger chance of breaking your CPU than improving temperatures by an amount thats worth it. If your out of the box temps are higher than normal i suggest contacting the store you got it to ask for a replacement, because its entirely possible theres a flaw in the cover. (which surprisingly is actually there for a reason)

Also, about your post on the heat travel distance: 1mm worth of extra metal for the heat to travel trough isnt gonna change temps in any way. I'm pretty sure intel did tests on this at some point in time.

well rabidz7, i think its a cool project but that being said,i would start by trying on a cheaper and lower end cpu to get the hang of it. i've read somewhere that it does increase heat transfer by a lot but i would personally never dare to try that on a 500$ cpu.

goodluck and if you go forward with your project take picture and post them please !

tyvm for cleaning.

And as other have said, before delidding, try lapping (or polishing) the ihs and your heatsink with a very, very fine sand paper. Use a damp lint free cloth to remove the (conductive!) dust carefully. Possibly a q-tip if you have to. 

This will help more than just about anything. 

If you run something that stresses all cores, speedfan is reporting like a 10 degree difference among all cores, there may be something up with the ihs but otherwise It's a lot of risk for not a lot of reward. lapping may get you to where you need to be. 

I wonder if, on a 4930k, the die actually is above the height of the metal clip that holds down the cpu. If not.. the heatsink would not make good contact with the die unless you machine away the edges of the heatsink to fit "inside" the hole in the metal clip that holds the cpu down.

I look at it this way:

I don't know any hard numbers about this topic, but let's say that there's a currently made cooler that can cool 20C at the bottom of it's block, that the solder and IHS of a CPU makes 20% of that cooling dissipate due to thermal loss or whatever and without the IHS, the cooler will touch about 1/3 (33.3%) of the CPU. Let's also say that CPU runs at 100C without any cooling to make it simple.

20C * 20% = 4C, 20C - 4C = 16C, so with the IHS and solder the CPU would be 16C cooler, so the CPU would run at 84C.

20C / 3 = 6.67C, which means that the cooler would cool the CPU 6.67C, so the CPU would be at 93.33C

So, with the components that are currently available, pulling off the IHS wouldn't be better, I figured it out to be roughly 66.7% of cooling lost between the IHS and solder for it to cool the same as taking the IHS and solder off all together.

It could work however if the cooler's base was the size of just the chip itself. The problem with that is that I don't think any company makes something like that, and I highly doubt anybody makes something like that for cheap enough to make it actually worth it. It would also be a pain to get all the heatpipes that small to actually make them function like they should.

just buy a heatgun and flux for $40 it will make it so much easier

I de-lid my 4670K, and just removed the hold down clamp. I sat the waterblock ontop of it and secured the waterblock down. has worked perfectly for months.

That isn't true. Many people de-lid other CPUs, and get WAY better cooling, like me.

Yeah in your case delidding an ivybridge cpu is worthwhile. Very little risk to damaging the cpu and has great gains as its a solderless chip meanwhile the OP's cpu is soldered. The risk of physical damage to the cpu and the gain simply isnt worth it. If OP wanted a few more degrees better cooling add another radiatior in the loop if he intends to wc and or as previously mentioned do a bit of lapping (which has been done for donkeys years and there are plenty of results charts about). Way cheaper than a new cpu if he damages it.

Yes, This is true. But if he wants to try it, oh well.

My point though, is that the temperature will not go up. As the person I replied to had said.

well, actually, it could. the IHS is there for a reason, to spread the heat from the core over a wider area.

not exactly. these were long-standing members of teksyndicate, who perceive the OP as a troll due to the number of posts similar to this, such as refusing to believe that his G5 powerpc cpu will bottleneck a 780ti...

not that their way of handling it was reasonable, but there was more to it than just youtube-esque commenting.

Yes, but when you attach a Heatsink to it, that copper bottom becomes the new IHS, in reality. And with a shorter distance of travel, and Tons more thermal mass, it helps out.

Also, heat can only transfer as fast as the least conductive item allows. So if your heatsink can transfer heat more quickly than your IHS, then it will benefit greatly. There will be no "heat bottleneck", you could say.

that's true. makes me wonder why they don't make the IHS out of copper....