Dedicated Server CPU Boost not working

Hey all,

I am hoping someone will have some advice.

I am renting a dedicated server from IONOS. They advertise it to have the 4.2Ghz boost speed for the Ryzen 5 3600 PRO CPU… and yet in Ubuntu 20.04 it is not working.

The CPU only goes up to 3.6Ghz. It’s base speed.

I am waiting for their support to get back to me as even they do not know whats going on.

I have had a look in the BIOS of the server and I have tried to make sure things like PBO are on vs auto and even if I set it to manual and add a 100Mhz OC to the PBO settings it wont boost.

Ubuntu shows in the bios_limits file 36000, its boost freq’s are 2, 2.8 and 3.6Ghz.

I do not want to “force” an OC with this if I can help it.

Does anyone know who what where and why the CPU will not boost to 4.2Ghz as it should under single core load?

I did set a P State manually for 3.8 abd 4Ghz and this seemed to work but again, I dont want to “force” anything.

I softbricked the BIOS of a dedicated server from Fasthosts and they had to reset the BIOS for me and after added a password to the BIOS.

I do not want IONOS to do the same :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks In advance.

EIDIT.

I run an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x on my own PC so I just installed Ubuntu on another partition and I am getting the same behaviour. The CPU will boost from 2.2Ghz up to the base of 3.7Ghz on this CPU but no further. Under Windows the CPU does boost to 4.6Ghz for this CPU under single core loads.

What is it about ubuntu that is stopping this from working?

1 Like

Bios update for pbo 2.0. You’re on an old flash

1 Like

Change the cpu governor?

I cant confirm this but from what I can find out, the motherboard is running AGESA Combo-AM4_1.0.0.6

and judging by that, the AGESA is a bit out of date.

The bios does have PBO settings but they are just not working. I assume they work with Ryzen 1000 and 2000 CPU’s just not 3000.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.