Dedicated MP3 Player in 2025

I have been looking at possibly getting a MP3 player. The only one I have left is a iPod mini. It still works, but is missing things like bluetooth and will likely need a battery sometime soon, so I would like something new. I have found that there are less distractions with a dedicated device. I have looked at what is out there and I am not sure what is good or bad. I will only being using the device while reading, casual listening, and possibly in the car. I do not need anything Audiophile level, but if the price is within my budget I am willing to look. The only thing I want is a headphone jack bluetooth, USB charging, a decent screen, and the ability to use it with Linux. I am capping my budget at $500.

1 Like

I purchased a Fiio echo mini a while back. It’s pretty affordable. I don’t know what linux has to do with anything but I imagine you would still be able to read and write to the sd card.

1 Like

Hey, you can look at the Sony NW-A306 Walkman. It is pretty cool and nostalgic. My girlfriend gifted it to me last year.

1 Like

There are options to take an older iPod and spec it up with modern storage, battery and so on. I used to run Rockbox on mine in place of the Apple software, which freed me from iTunes or I believe there are things like gtkPod if you wanted.

Recent YT video on such a project: I Built The ULTIMATE iPod

1 Like

Since the only market left for music-players on the go that is not a phone, they were rebranded as DAP (Digital Audio Player).

  • I have a Cayin RU6 (= dongle DAC, not what you are after) given my experience with it, I would consider something like the Cayin N6

  • Fiio covers the low to high end price range, had an X1 at some point in the past and successfully lost it. Only other Fiio product I have experience with is a BR13, which does a good job being a bluetooth receiver

  • HiBy is sitting in the lower price tier, no personal experience with them though.

I have a 5G iPod that I want to do this with. Replace the cracked front cover, battery, and make it MicroSD. Need to find a reputable seller of the parts that aren’t overpriced.

I have been more and more interested in this. My phone is like a Swiss Army knife; it does a number of things at a “fair” level. However, when I have a splinter I reach for dedicated tweezers and when I need to graft trees I reach for special knife for grafting, etc.

I had a series of music players in the late 90s. Rio (several) for travel, an empeg in my car (I have 2 somewhere still), and in the early 2000s a dedicated SilverStone case with someone’s music server in it (there was a brand but it is lost to me now).

I stream music in my workshop with a cheap MP3 player and in my office with a modern, dedicated, stack of components. I do not have the fine ear of an audiophile, but I find that music helps burn up spare MIPS so I don’t frighten people when I interact with them.

I would love a portable solution that is not my phone.

(I joined here to talk about a new PC, but you all always have something interesting going on)

I had a Rio that I used for a couple of flights to the left coast years ago. Several years ago I got a Fiio from Fry’s for around $70 because I wanted BT for my Beats Solo3 phones, which are pretty powerful and work great, although one of the hinges broke. Since I’m retired now I just use the Beats with my cable Music Choice so I can walk on my 75 ft. deck. But the Fiio worked pretty well, just not real “intuitive”. I’m a fiddle around 'til you get what you want kinda guy.

A-another phone as a dedicated MP3 player? I mean, you’ll see it’s actually like a “real MP3 player” if you look at the supported codecs list:

“MP3/WAV/eAAC+/WMA player”

None of your fancy new WEBM, Opus. It plays M4A (the AAC part from above) too.

I’m talking about the likes of a Nokia phone from late 00s, early 2010s. For example, Nokia 6303.

Bluetooth 2.1, AUX, barrel jack for charging, and USB for data (and slow charging), and a MicroSD slot. Somehow all these connectors fit inside (crazy, I know). Although having a dedicated charger is a downside. // I wonder how much of a hardware project is it to take a newer USB standard (5V1A or PD) and make a converter-adapter to barrel jack with an appropriate voltage and amperage for faster charging?

You don’t need to put a SIM card inside. However, in standby mode with cell signal it averages about 1+ week in idle. And, unlike modern phones, will keep beeping about low charge for a day or two.

Technically, it can do FM Radio too. Remember these times? Last, but not least, you can still buy new replacement batteries.

Unlike the QWERTY-enabled brethren of later business models, it’s thin and small enough to not protrude from a pocket. On the other hand, later models have Wi-Fi. I’m sure there should then be an option for software sync (maybe SyncThing had been ported to Symbian too?). Finally, you will remember and learn to appreciate the love and polish that went into contemporary UI design and UX.

1 Like

I bought a Hiby R4 (249 USD) just because its a licensed Evangelion edition (its a japanese animated series from the late 90s if you are a weeb like me). its about 70USD more than the base model but the theming is good and has a bit of RAM expansion as well.

It is not connect ever to the internet especially in my house as I do not trust it. If it is not connected to the internet or via bluetooth, it should be fine. I occasionally use it as a DAC to my computer, it can be connected to the computer with a no-charge option, which is nice. It is also android based so Linux support is good.

I overestimated the capacity as I have FLACs and 320kbit MP3s as a music source and the 32GB onboard capacity feels a bit low now. Thankfully the DAP has an SD card that is expandable up to 2TB or so it says. I have a 256 GB Samsung High Endurance that is on its way and I think it exceeds my library. For now at least.

Overall, its adequate for my needs.Whats nice about it is that I can hear a bit of new detail to some of my songs, maybe because the amplifier is better vs phones, but maybe its placebo and I am an idiot. I am happy with my purchase overall.

I do have a Oneplus 7T with Lineage OS on it. I never thought about using it as an MP3 player, but it might work. It does have 256 gb storage which is plenty for me. The only downfall is no headphone jack, but I could get a USB-C dongle. A few of the devices I have looked at have Android for an OS. I might give it a go. Thanks for the idea!

Edit: I noticed that phone has 256gb of storage on it after checking it.

I use a "iFi Audio Go Link Max" for my phone to add a little more. It’s not the cheapest option. But it’s pretty good for the price.

This is looking so cool. How’s the sound quality?