Decrapify Windows 10 (March 4th 2018 edition)

Something something I can at least look at the changes before they happen ? A bit transparent :slight_smile:

Its a mute point as I harden windows against window anyway :wink: Seems kind of silly, tho.

‘greed’ is why Microsoft have been moving to open source solutions. This is a different discussion though. (Greed you could argue is also why the term open source exists.)

All the Microsoft apologists suck on this. https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html
Of course the sins of M$ does not excuse the sins of others.

Way to contribute…

Maybe don’t post if your just going to try and incite a reaction from people.

3 Likes

Ha. My contribution while not great is still better than yours. I’m trying to get people to realize what MS is really doing. Whereas you are trying to downplay the shady practises they are pulling.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what articles/guides we post because the Windows kernel is closed source and we will never really know what the software is doing. Even if someone leaked the source code for Win 10, MS would move heaven and earth to make it disappear. Probably for a good reason.

Oh I didn’t realise you worked for MS and had super secret inside knowledge of their evil conspiracy!

If you want to discourage people from using closed source software (a perfectly acceptable goal), make a new thread, but at least be constructive about it.

Its closed source so they must be up to something and anyone who says otherwise is a Microsoft apologist isn’t the way to have a conversion on this forum.

fyi, I haven’t downplayed anything.

Love the fact that im somehow a Microsoft apologist

2 Likes

That isn’t a solution, that’s a cheap cop-out. If brake design was flawed, you wouldn’t tell people to stop using cars. You fix the brakes. I want to make Windows better.

I would have switched years ago, but I’m a gamer so that isn’t an option.

1 Like

You’re using the wrong example.

your a gamer… there’s plenty of games on Linux, it would be easy to suggest that your argument for staying with windows is a copout (look out for grims reply, most games are closed source).

You could just not play the games that aren’t cross platform. You’re not going to run out of games to play on Linux.

Take your money elsewhere is a thing for a reason.

The fact is if people have concerns about Microsoft practices, you let them know… then leave. the fact that people don’t leave means it generally actually isn’t that big a deal to them, they just wanted to shout about something. Keep providing them feedback on the issues you have with their OS or move elsewhere if it no longer meets your requirements.

The likelihood is, you’re actually fine accepting a level of risk with using windows the way you do, where as others have a higher acceptance of it and others a lower one. But the problem I think as I mentioned a few posts ago is I don’t think anyone really understands the different risks or has the information to actually make an informed decision. Just throwing a conspiracy out there and calling people names as has been done in this thread accomplishes nothing, brings nothing to the table, and still does not inform anyone on the information they need to know and how to come to a decision with that information.

And like a small number of other people on this forum who I think have done similar work, I know how you make these decisions, it was part of my job, its not as simple as a few poor articles, biased links, and throw in a conspiracy about its closed there evil, there’s more to it.

This still doesn’t change my mind that I think free software is the better option in almost all occasions, and the ultimate goal…

Volvo has great brakes. Don’t buy a Toyota, Chevy, Mercedes, or Tesla, their brakes are crap. Just buy a Volvo if you care about not dying more than driving the car you actually prefer.

All I can say that it is not just Windows 10. It is the whole ecosystem that is migrating towards more invasive methods. Antivirus, general software, support systems. In ways … somethings are better. In other ways… ripe for abuse.

1 Like

Apple has plenty of telemetry also, but a) they allow you to turn it off on MacOS and b) they use differential privacy so it’s truly anonymized.

Windows 10 has improved tremendously; the default is now Basic where previously it was Enhanced (which was removed and is now folded into Full), and upon initial release the default actually was Full. So that’s a big plus.

As noted earlier in the thread, they now extensively document their datapoints, and will allow users to examine the actual payloads too. That’s a major improvement.

But they still don’t let you turn it off, which is what I demand.

There is also an option to enable the diagnostic data viewer which shows (from what i understand) the diagnostic data that is sent.

I agree through, it would be benificial to have an off/ask me option. Perhaps within a command even.

Yes, that’s what I meant by looking at the payloads. It doesn’t work yet, need the 1803 update first.

There’s actually zero work required. Windows 10 Enterprise and Education already let you disable all telemetry by choosing the “Security” option. MS just doesn’t allow Windows 10 Pro and Home to do that. It’s a deliberate decision on their part. They don’t permit end-users to opt-out.

This thread really didnt need to exist. Nothing has really changed from the previous one.

Just use the debloat scripts that have been around since windows 10 was introduced. No installing third party BS that may or may not work. You’re never going to block everything so stop trying and play damage control, or just dont use windows.

/thread

1 Like

Eden I am with you fully on everything you wrote. I just took the last 30 mins to read it. Well said

Best quote of the day… For cry sake why try to turn closed source windows into something its not. Just live and let it be. Its closed source you bought it. If you are disappointed DONT USE IT use something like any linux distribution of your choosing. This thread exploded into something it doesnt need to turn into. While there was very valid discussion and good points most of the infighting between the two crowds was completely unnecessary including the subtle jabs at peoples ethos.

@The_Guy who wrote this thread honestly just wanted to provide a way to completely decrapify windows in his opinion. While I think its valuable he share his views if one wants to make an informed decision on what to remove and what to keep NTLite is pretty shit at explaining this ill quote “uncheck components for removal. Be careful as removal is permanent and only restored by a Windows 10 Refresh or equivalent reinstall/recovery” Thats very comforting to know that the software is more willing to let you screw up then make an informed decision on what to keep. Even if you set the compatibility options to keep core services working it will inevitably break what was working because of service dependencies.

Here is my philosophy. Decrap what you dont use. Go in do the manual labor turn off everything you do not like (which turns things down to a diagnostic level, which microsoft allows you to view at anytime with their diagnostic data viewer) and disable services and features unused by yourself and then there you go. You can disable cortana too and at anytime you do not want to be heard UNPLUG YOUR MIC/CAMERA how hard is it to blind the system that way LOL… FYI turning off speech and typing services turns off microsoft logging SOME keystrokes… its not a keylogger @MisteryAngel :stuck_out_tongue: While it behaves similarly its intent is not malicious or used for purposes of fishing. Also if you call that a keylogger why use any mobile phone since the dawn of palm OS? They all log keys for diagnostic purposes and heck almost all nowadays send it back to the cloud to improve their prediction service .

and I swear to god if someone goes all well ahem if we inject a virus that reverses the polarity on the 3.5mm jack you can turn speakers into a crude microphone… show me one virus that allows you to infiltrate the UEFI in that manor to do so and then ill believe you :stuck_out_tongue: this could happen pre EFI days it cant anymore

Alright everyone, enough of this.

giphy

1 Like

because its work computers and they wont, because it might cost money (just like paying for more bandwidth which is the real solution) . to them it works well enough , to me its a pain in the arse.

I would spin it like this: it slows down transactions, affecting your ability to make them money. If they spend the hundred or so dollars now, it will yield more money down the line and pay for itself.

well as i said ,the real solution is to increase the bandwidth of the intertubes connection.
i had a long rant but that isnt for this thread.

Minus ubuntu