Deciding on mainboard for Ryzen APU

A friend of mine decided to get himself a PC to free up his notebook harddrive and get some more performance. After looking at video card prices, he decided to go with the Ryzen 5 2400G APU.

Parts list:

• Ryzen 5 2400G
  • 2x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 2800Mhz RAM
  • 2x Samsung 850Evo (He wants to dual-boot Win10 and Fedora)
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage)
  • BitFenix Comrade (because the name is very meme-able)
  • SeaSonic Focus 650W (was on sale for 60€)

As PCPartpicker: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2QvrHh

Now the important question: Which mainboard suits this application best?

asus b350-f strix is the best board I’ve come across (better than the msi b350 tomahawk imo)

source:
own 1700x + x370-f strix and 1600 + b350-f strix,
previously owned b350 tomahawk, previously built 2 b350 tomahawk builds for a friend

1 Like

I just snagged up my third Asus Prime X370 Pro, the second time on the cheap for less than 100,- Euro.
I believe it is still one of the best AM4 boards around and with it’s power delivery system it has no problem dealing with any Ryzen CPU at any voltage.

The problem here is the CPU costs 145€, slapping it on a mainboard that costs 150€ is a bit unorthodox.

I would even recommend investing in the board first, if the budget isn’t enough the 2200G is still a capable little chip. And When GPU prices calm down, which they will at some point, you are able to drop in any Ryzen out there and build a real powerhouse.

But as I said, outlet deals can be had for 100,- Euro here in Germany. I don’t know where you live but if you can buy hardware there, there will be open box deals somewhere.